1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics Help

1. Sep 28, 2013 #1
    Quantum Mechanics Help [Probability of a Spin-1/2 Particle]

Part 1) [itex]\hat{S}[/itex] is a spin-1/2 operator, [itex]\vec n[/itex] is a unit vector, [itex]\vert{\psi_\pm}\rangle[/itex] are normalized eigenvectors of [itex]n\cdot\hat{S}[/itex] with eigenvectors [itex]\pm\frac12[/itex]. Write [itex]\vert{\psi_\pm}\rangle[/itex] in terms of [itex]\vert{+z}\rangle[/itex] and [itex]\vert{-z}\rangle[/itex].

Part 2) [itex]\vec n_1[/itex] and [itex]\vec n_2[/itex] are unit vectors. A measurement found the projection of spin-1/2 on the direction [itex]\vec n_1[/itex] to be 1/2. Use the results of the previous part to show that a subsequent measurement of the projection of spin on the direction [itex]\vec n_2[/itex] will give 1/2 with probability

[itex]P=\frac12(1+\vec n_1\cdot\vec n_2)[/itex]

The attempt at a solution
    First I declare what my normal vector [itex]\vec n[/itex] will be, [itex]\vec n = (sin\theta\cos\phi,\ \sin\theta\sin\phi,\ \cos\theta)[/itex]

I then solve for [itex]\sum_i\vec n\cdot\hat{S}_i[/itex] and started looking for the eigenstates, which lead to

[itex]\mu=\pm 1[/itex]

Setting this up lead me to
    [itex]\langle -z\vert\psi_+\rangle=-e^{i\phi}\frac{\cos\theta-1}{\sin\theta}\langle+z\vert\psi_+\rangle[/itex]
    which, after normalizing, I then find
    [itex]\vert\psi_+\rangle=\cos\frac\theta2\vert+z\rangle+e^{-i\phi}\sin\frac\theta2\vert-z\rangle[/itex]

Likewise, when I use [itex]\mu=-1[/itex] I find

[itex]\vert\psi_-\rangle=\sin\frac\theta2\vert+z\rangle-e^{i\phi}\cos\frac\theta2\vert-z\rangle[/itex]

**This officially marks the end of part 1**

For part 2, I assumed that "the projection of spin-1/2 on the direction n⃗ 1 to be 1/2" was equivalent to
    [itex]\langle \vec n\vert\vec n_1\rangle=\frac12[/itex]

But supposably this is not the case, which leaves me to just being confused on where to go.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2013 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

There is no ##\vec{n}## in part b. The problem mentions the measurement of the projection of the spin in the direction of ##\vec{n}_1##. How do you translate that into mathematical terms?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted