1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics homework

1. Apr 6, 2009 #1
    I fear I might have posted my earlier questions in the wrong section - As I don't think I'm getting any replies.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=305474

Thats a link to it there. If an administrator wants to move it here and delete this post, that'd probably work also :D.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi DrMon! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
    You only waited half-an-hour …

and half the world is still asleep! :zzz:

Wait about 24 hours before getting worried. :wink:

(and it's better to put only one question in each thread)

4. Apr 7, 2009 #3
    Hi, DrMon.
    I think I could give you some hints on your 3rd question.

Basically it is more of a plug in number type of problem.
    What is the separation between the 2 objects?
    How does it relate to other parameters?

Now, by writing out the equation of the separation, you might find out that it has some correlation with the angle.
    What is the angle must be for the separation to be the value you are looking for?
    Then you can find out that you need some specific wavelength of photon.
    How does the wavelength relates to energy?
    I think this'll solve the first part. Then you just need to think deep of the uncertainty principle.
    What does the uncertainty principle relate the position with?

5. Apr 8, 2009 #4
    Hi guys.

I believe I've solved most of the problems - however the uncertainty stuff still throws me. Even the part b of question two (As opposed to the last bit part a of question two) is still not working for me. Any sorts of hints or suggestions further to this would be great.

EDIT: I began this post with the intention of saying thankyou for your help so far - I think it got lost in the stress. So let me make this clear:
    THANK YOU!

In the mean time, I'm consulting my textbook.
    (Yay, I have a maths test tomorrow too. They make me work hard for my holidays..)
    (And If my lecturer is reading this - There are quite few people who have a maths test tomorrow - so you can't catch me out that way! Not that finding help with questions is against the Uni policies or anything. I just prefer to stay unknown :P)

EDIT #2: Just thought I'd update you all. I've finished everything EXCEPT for the last part of Part A in question three. The bit where it asks if it is consistent with the uncertainty principle, I can't hoestly figure out what it means by that.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook