Recommended References for Mathematical Methods in Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a reference for math to accompany the study of quantum mechanics from Griffiths. Shankar's book is recommended for its linear algebra review and focus on essential topics for vector spaces over complex numbers. Other options, such as Arfken's "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" and Schaum's Outline of Complex Variables, are also suggested.
Ahmad Kishki
I am self studying quantum mechanics from griffiths at the moment, and the formalism chapter (to me) seems to be an overview, and since most of the linear algebra i did was in real numbers, most of the stuff are new to me. So i want you to recommend a reference for math to go along with griffiths.

Thank you

Hello, there is a quantum mechanics book by Shankar which has a fairly considerable linear algebra review as the first chapter or two. By virtue of it being in a quantum mechanics book it focuses on the essential topics for vector spaces over the complex numbers.

Last edited:
I used Arfken "Mathematical Methods for Physicists", which has been through a few editions since I was an undergrad.

You might be able to get by with something a little less weighty. For example, Schaum's Outline of Complex Variables is pretty cheap and has tons of worked examples. If you are really keen you might get both.

1. What is quantum mechanics mathematics?

Quantum mechanics mathematics is a branch of mathematics that is used to describe and analyze the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It is a fundamental theory that explains the behavior of matter and energy at the smallest scales.

2. Why is quantum mechanics mathematics important?

Quantum mechanics mathematics is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It has many practical applications in fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering.

3. What are the key principles of quantum mechanics mathematics?

The key principles of quantum mechanics mathematics include superposition, entanglement, and uncertainty. Superposition states that a particle can exist in multiple states simultaneously. Entanglement refers to the correlation of properties between particles, even when they are separated. Uncertainty states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty.

4. How is quantum mechanics mathematics different from classical mechanics?

Quantum mechanics mathematics differs from classical mechanics in that it describes the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, while classical mechanics describes the behavior of larger objects. Quantum mechanics also includes principles such as superposition and uncertainty, which do not apply in classical mechanics.

5. Can quantum mechanics mathematics be visualized?

Quantum mechanics mathematics is a highly abstract and mathematical theory, so it cannot be visualized in the traditional sense. However, there are visual representations, such as diagrams and animations, that can help to illustrate the concepts and principles of quantum mechanics.