1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum mechanics mathematics

1. Jan 30, 2015 #1
    I am self studying quantum mechanics from griffiths at the moment, and the formalism chapter (to me) seems to be an overview, and since most of the linear algebra i did was in real numbers, most of the stuff are new to me. So i want you to recommend a reference for math to go along with griffiths.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Feb 4, 2015 #3
    Hello, there is a quantum mechanics book by Shankar which has a fairly considerable linear algebra review as the first chapter or two. By virtue of it being in a quantum mechanics book it focuses on the essential topics for vector spaces over the complex numbers.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  5. Feb 5, 2015 #4

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I used Arfken "Mathematical Methods for Physicists", which has been through a few editions since I was an undergrad.

You might be able to get by with something a little less weighty. For example, Schaum's Outline of Complex Variables is pretty cheap and has tons of worked examples. If you are really keen you might get both.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook