Quantum Mechanics & movement

• Thread starter Wolf
  • Start date
chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Schrodinger's cat is not part of quantum theory. Schrodinger's cat is a thought experiment designed to highlight the strangeness of the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics. Note, again, that you're not discussing quantum mechanics, but an interpretation of it. Quantum mechanics, the physical theory itself, is not concerned with the meaning of "reality" in any way, shape, or form.

- Warren

quantum_foam
After some amount of research, I have discovered that you are correct. I was not aware that there is an actual confined theory of quantum mechanics. I was under the impression that it was simply a compilation of many experiments/theories.

Is there a written theory as is the General Theory of Relativity? If not, then aren't any interpretations of the theory as valid as any other?

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Originally posted by quantum_foam
I was under the impression that it was simply a compilation of many experiments/theories.
No. Quantum mechanics is a (more or less) rigorous mathematical formalism which can be used to calculate the results of experiments.
Is there a written theory as is the General Theory of Relativity?
Quantum mechanics was developed not by one person (as was relativity), but by many people simultaneously. There is no one single magnum opus to consult on the topic. On the other hand, a quantum mechanics textbook would be the right place to go to learn the theory.
If not, then aren't any interpretations of the theory as valid as any other?
The interpretations are all equally valid. Quantum mechanics per se is not at all dependent upon those interpretations. The theory predicts specific results for experiments, and those results are then verified. Nowhere in the "workings" of quantum mechanics is there any philosophy.

- Warren

onycho
Quantum Mechanics and Reality

Actually you too are basically incorrect.

[onycho's content deleted.]

Moderator edit: We do not permit plagiarism on this site.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey wolf...you still here?
you still talking about your theorys?
i think they could go far...
if you got more ppl to disengage the filter
in thier head...all they have to do is listin and
and give it a chance...they might get what your saying...

hey wolf...look what i can do...

[tex]
\begin{equation*}\begin{split}\tau &= \tau_1+\tau_2 = \sqrt{{\Delta t_1}^2-{\Delta x_1}^2}+\sqrt{{\Delta t_2}^2-{\Delta x_2}^2} \\&= \sqrt{(5-0)^2-(4-0)^2}+\sqrt{(10-5)^2-(0-4)^2}\\&= 3+3 = 6\end{split}\end{equation*}
[/tex]

My theory

my theories are diferent from the normal if people could shut their filter off for a litle bit people would see what i am saying makes sense you just have to ignore the 'rules of logic' to see them once you shut that filter off for a minute you start to see what it means
once that hapens then you can bring normal logic back into the situation

onycho
Wolf Pay No Attention To the Other Posters

my theories are diferent from the normal if people could shut their filter off for a litle bit people would see what i am saying makes sense you just have to ignore the 'rules of logic' to see them once you shut that filter off for a minute you start to see what it means

Your theories, although a bit confusing, are no more or less valid than others on this forum.

Please keep in mind that there was a time when the scientists and people of a distant past time believed that if you were to walk far enough you would fall off this flat earth.

The current theories of quantum physics, cosmology, mass, energy, gravity, time, space and all that goes along it are nothing but today’s thinkers and shakers trying to cope with observation and mental experiments and reality. In a hundred years, if earth people remain in place, advances will have put all current theories in the category of the same 'flat earth society.' In other words, no one knows anything for certain.

So any concepts or ideas that you have are just as valid as anyone on earth today.

"We see reality as we assume it exists."

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom Mattson
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think that this thread has lingered here quite long enough. Wolf, this Forum is for threads that have direct relevance to quantum mechanics or quantum field theory. The Forum for personal speculation is the Theory Development Forum, which is where I am sending this.

onycho
I think that this thread has lingered here quite long enough. Wolf, this Forum is for threads that have direct relevance to quantum mechanics or quantum field theory. The Forum for personal speculation is the Theory Development Forum, which is where I am sending this.

Tom you have every right to move posts wherever you like as you are the master mentor.

But please allow me to mention the fact that Quantum Mechanics is just fuzzy enough enough to have had personal observaton and speculation more or less with a very direct relevance to our understanding of QM.

One of the most astonishing features of quantum mechanics: the 'autonomous' role of the observation, as a subjective event which cannot be reduced to a physical one. The very existence of a qualitatively different formalization for the observation process is something unthinkable in classic physics, where the observer can be both completely ignored and completely amalgamated, pure soul or another piece of matter as you like, in the physical representation of the event, without affecting the natural laws.

In quantum mechanics, on the contrary, we have two qualitatively different evolution laws for the system: the first continuous, in absence of observation events, and the second discontinuous, accomplishing a sudden ''reduction'' of the wave-packet to one of the possible values/pure states (eigenvalues/eigenvectors) of the observable, during a measurement event. Such a behavior must be confronted with the classic description of the physical knowledge. In fact, in classic mechanics the 'knowledge' event is something not reducible to a mechanical description, as the whole history of the body/mind dualistic philosophies has shown."

Without personal speculation like Einstein or Newton, where would our curent concepts of the laws of nature and relativeity be today.

Just a thought....

..quantem mechanics in a way is movement and how movemnt and reality..
This is sort've what Einstein was getting at with his general and special theories of relativity. Movement in the space-time continuum is always done at the speed of light. This may seem like an arbitrary way of looking at the situation, but by theorists it has been somewhat proven that the addition of the 4 dimensions that we move through will produce the sum of the speed of light. So, the more massive an object is, the more of it's energy is expended in the three spacial dimensions (It's gravitational energy), thus the slower it moves through time. This can be observed as you approach the event horizion of a black hole. The closer you get to the event horizion, the stronger the gravitation field you encounter, and the more slowly you move through time (Though technically the person within the gravitational field could say he's moving at a normal rate, and the person outside of the field is moving faster then they are, for simplicity's sake we shall assume that they think that they are moving slowly as a result of the gravitational field). This is because more of your energy is being expended on the spacial dimensions, so less is avaliable to move through time.

The reason that this matters is because massless objects like photons can travel through time and not need to expend any other energy in the spacial dimensions, because it has no mass to be effected by these dimensions. This means that a photon doesn't age, so a photon that you encounter today might be as old as the universe is.

..but is it posible that the energy of movement or the velocity if you wish could be altered by another..
This is exactly what happens. As someone has previously mentioned, this is called a force, and the application of a force on an object can cause it to speed up, slow down, stop or start, depending on the magnitude and direction of the force applied. This is the basis for most Newtonian physics applications. Again, this is non-quantum physics.

I think you need to read more about the application of quantum physics. It seems that you have the ideas of quantum and classical physics mixed up. In the future there may come a time when the perfect union of quantum and classical physics is accomplished (The T.o.E., as it were), but until that time they for the most part are thought of as seperate entities.

I hope this helps.