1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum mechanics operator relations. One dimensional problem involving position.

1. Jan 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement:

Show that if the operator relation

e^(ipa/ħ)xe^(-ipa/ħ) = x+a

holds. The operator e^A is defined to the

e^A= Ʃ(A^n)/n!
    n=0

[Hint: Calculate e^(ipa/ħ)xe^(-ipa/ħ)f(p) where f(p)is any function of p, and use the representation x=iħd/dp]

2. Relevant equations:

I am not entirely sure but I think those presented in the problem statement are sufficient.

3. The attempt at a solution:

I calculated e^(ipa/ħ)xe^(-ipa/ħ)f(p) by replacing x=iħd/dp to get;

e^(ipa/ħ)iħd/dp[e^(-ipa/ħ)f(p)]= e^(ipa/ħ){iħ[(-ia/ħ)e^(-ipa/ħ)f(p)+e^(-ipa/ħ)f'(p)]}
    = e^(ipa/ħ){ae^(-ipa/ħ)f(p)+e^(-ipa/ħ)f'(p)]}
    = af(p)+f'(p).
    ∴ af(p)+f'(p) = x + a.

From this point I become entirely confused, I don't know how everything is suppose to tie into the power series.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello RedMech. From the wording of the problem, I'm not sure what the question is. Could you restate what it is you are suppose to show?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  4. Jan 26, 2013 #3
  5. Jan 26, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, not quite. You added the word "if" that threw me a bit. But, no problem. Your link cleared it up.

This looks good except for a missing numerical factor for the part shown in red above.
    Your result will then have the form af(p)+cf'(p) where c is the missing factor. See what happens if you then rewrite f'(p) in terms of the x operator acting on f(p).

You don't need to use the power series. I think the problem statement threw that in just to state the meaning of e^A.

6. Jan 26, 2013 #5
    So af(p)+cf'(p), would be my final solution. I pay no attention to the power series?

7. Jan 26, 2013 #6
    Not sure I know what you mean by this. The phrasing of the question has thrown me off so much that I don't know what I am looking for.

8. Jan 26, 2013 #7

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, that's not the final solution. You are asked to show that e^(ipa/ħ)xe^(-ipa/ħ) = x+a. So far you have shown that [e^(ipa/ħ)xe^(-ipa/ħ)]f(p) = af(p)+cf'(p) for any function f(p) and where c is the factor you dropped (you'll need to go back and find the value of c). You still need to show that e^(ipa/ħ)xe^(-ipa/ħ) is equivalent to x+a. But, you are almost there. You just need to rewrite the last term of af(p)+cf'(p) in terms of the operator x.

You will not need the power series.

9. Jan 26, 2013 #8
    Okay, I'm with you now. Let me see what I can do and I'll come back with my result.

10. Jan 26, 2013 #9
    C=iħ. Giving us af(p) + iħd/dpf(p).

Leading to
    [e^(ipa/ħ)xe^(-ipa/ħ)]f(p)= [a + iħd/dp]f(p).

∴e^(ipa/ħ)xe^(-ipa/ħ)=a + iħd/dp as required. Does this seem right?

11. Jan 26, 2013 #10

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, I think that's right.

12. Jan 26, 2013 #11
    Thank you so much. This makes sense. I see why I needed to bring in the f(p) function. My careless differentiation mistake and that power series confused me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook