Are there any operators that are not linear?

In summary, the conversation discusses different operators, such as reflection and translation, and their properties. The main focus is on determining whether these operators are linear, as well as finding operators that are complex conjugates, transposed, Hermitian conjugates, and inverses with respect to the given operators. The conversation also includes a discussion on how to prove linearity of operators and finding explicit formulas for the inverse of an operator. The definitions for the complex conjugate, transpose, and Hermitian conjugate of an operator are also mentioned. The conversation ends with a question about the reflection of a wavefunction.
stunner5000pt

Homework Statement

Consider the following operators
a) Reflection: [tex]\hat{I}\Psi(x)=\Psi(-x)[/tex] , [tex] x\in(-\infty,\infty)[/tex]
b) Translation: [tex] \hat{T_{a}}\Psi(x)=\Psi(x+a)[/tex], [tex] x\in(-\infty,\infty)[/tex]
c) [tex] \hat{M_{c}}: \hat{M_{c}}\Psi(x) = \sqrt{c}\Psi(x) [/tex]
d) [tex] \hat{c}\Psi(x)= (\Psi(x))^* [/tex]
e) [tex] i\frac{\partial}{\partial x}, x\in(-\infty,\infty)[/tex]
f) [tex] i\frac{\partial}{\partial r}, r\in[0,\infty)[/tex] where r is the radial variable

Are the operators linear? Find operators which are complex conjugate, transposed, Hermitian conjugate, and inverse with respect to the given operators

2. The attempt at a solution

Ok so the book (Pauli's) says If F is a linear operator than corresponding to every eigenfunction [itex]u_{n} [/itex] there is an expansion

[tex] (Fu_{n}) ~\sum_{k} u_{k} F_{kn} [/tex]
with [tex] F_{kn} = \int u_{k}^* ((Fu_{n}) dq[/tex]

For the reflection operator then would writing something like this be sufficient?
[tex] \hat{I}\Psi(x)=\sum_{n}u_{n} \Psi_{n}(x) I_{kn} = \Psi(-x)[/tex]

i alwyas thought that to prove the linearity of an operator we would have to do something like this

For two function [itex] \Psi_{1} [/itex] and [itex] \Psi_{2} [/itex]
[tex]\Hat{I} (\Psi_{1} + \Psi_{2})(x) = \Psi_{1}(-x) +\Psi_{2}(-x) [/tex] which means it is linear
is there something else i nthe first method that i have not pointed out??

i am actually not sure how to find the inverse of an operator... it doesn't seem to be given in the textbook for my class (Griffiths)

This is for an assignment but its pointless doing it for the assignment... i need to find the explicit formula (i think that one has to do the an integral with integrating by parts and so on) Just point out the book in which i need to look that's all i ask

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
is the Hermitian conjugate computed in the following way

[tex] \int \Psi^* Q^{\dagger}\Psi dx = \int (Q\Psi)^* \Psi dx [/tex]

and the complex conjugate computed like this

[tex] \int \Phi^* A \Psi dx = \int (A\Phi)^* \Psi x [/tex]

but how to compute the coplex conjugate ... do i simply just change the sing in front of the i in the operator??

what about the transposed? If it was a matrixn no problemn but a one dimensional operator... ?

Can you prove that all the operators, when defined on appropriate subsets of a Hilbert space (called domains), are linear ?

dextercioby said:
Can you prove that all the operators, when defined on appropriate subsets of a Hilbert space (called domains), are linear ?

ok to prove some operator is linear am i not supposed to go about it this way...

for the reflection operator

[tex]\Hat{I} (\Psi_{1} + \Psi_{2})(x) =(\Psi_{1} + \Psi_{2})(-x) = \Psi_{1}(-x) + \Psi_{2}(-x) [/tex]
which means it is linear... correct??

stunner5000pt said:
ok to prove some operator is linear am i not supposed to go about it this way...

for the reflection operator

[tex]\Hat{I} (\Psi_{1} + \Psi_{2})(x) =(\Psi_{1} + \Psi_{2})(-x) = \Psi_{1}(-x) + \Psi_{2}(-x) [/tex]
which means it is linear... correct??

i believe i made a mistake here

there should be scalars with the Psis that is
[tex]\Hat{I} (a_{1}\Psi_{1} +a_{2} \Psi_{2})(x) =(a_{1}\Psi_{1} + a_{2}\Psi_{2})(-x) = a_{1}\Psi_{1}(-x) + a_{2}\Psi_{2}(-x) [/tex]

this is fine but how to find the complex conjugate and transposed operators??

to find the complex conjugate of the reflection one... is it simply itself since there is no "i" involved??

i found the definitions which our prof had given us they looked like this

[tex] \int \Psi^* \hat{Q} \Psi dx = \int \hat{Q}^* \Psi^* \Psi dx [/tex]

[tex] \int \Psi^* \hat{Q} \Psi dx = \int \hat{Q}^* \Psi^* \Psi dx[/tex] complex conjugate ?
[tex] \int \Psi^* \hat{Q} \Psi dx = \int \Psi^* (\hat{Q}^*)^T \Psi dx [/tex] tranpose

and
[tex] \int \Psi^* \hat{Q} \Psi dx = \int \hat{Q}^{dagger} \Psi^* \Psi dx [/tex] for hermitian conjugate

but i cannot find the inverse

are these defintions correct?? the source was from someone's notes and as such they may be flawed

are the definitons right?? They look circular to me...

but ok let's try to find the complex conjugate for the reflection operator

[tex] \int \Psi^* \hat{Q} \Psi dx = \int \hat{Q}^* \Psi^* \Psi dx [/tex]
[tex] \int \Psi^* \hat{I} \Psi dx = \int \Psi(x)^* \Psi(-x) dx [/tex]

stuck now... would i have to use integration by parts to solve this?? What can be said about the reflection of a wavefunction??

1. What are quantum mechanics operators?

Quantum mechanics operators are mathematical operators that are used to describe the properties of particles in the quantum world. They represent physical observables such as position, momentum, energy, and spin, and are essential for solving quantum mechanical equations.

2. How are operators used in quantum mechanics?

Operators are used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probabilities of different outcomes of a measurement. They act on quantum states to give the possible values of the corresponding physical observable. The measurement process involves applying an operator to a quantum state and then finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of that operator.

3. What is the difference between a Hermitian operator and a non-Hermitian operator?

A Hermitian operator is one that is equal to its own complex conjugate transpose, while a non-Hermitian operator is not. In quantum mechanics, Hermitian operators are used to represent physical observables, as they have real eigenvalues and correspond to measurable quantities. Non-Hermitian operators can still be used in certain situations, but they do not always correspond to physical observables.

4. What is the significance of commutation and anti-commutation in quantum mechanics?

Commutation and anti-commutation refer to the mathematical properties of operators in quantum mechanics. Commutation means that two operators can be applied in any order without changing the result, while anti-commutation means that the order of the operators matters. These properties play a crucial role in determining the behavior of quantum systems and the relationships between different physical observables.

5. Can operators be used to solve any quantum mechanical problem?

While operators are essential tools in quantum mechanics, they cannot be used to solve all problems. In some cases, the equations may be too complex to be solved using operators alone, and other techniques such as perturbation theory or numerical methods may be needed. However, operators are still a crucial part of the framework for understanding and describing quantum systems.