1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum mechanics operators

1. Sep 15, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose a linear operator L satisfies <A|L|A> = 0 for every state A. Show that then all matrix elements <B|L|A> = 0, and hence L = 0.

2. Relevant equations
    ##<A|L|A>=L_{AA} and <B|L|A>=L_{BA}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    It seems very straight forward and I don't know how to prove it but here is what I have tried:
    ##<B|L|A> \to##Using resolution of Identity ##\to \sum_{A} <B|A><A|L|A> \to <B|L|A>=0##
    Is it right or do I need to write more.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is not correct, you are summing over A and at the same time assuming that ##|A\rangle## is a fixed state (i.e., the one you started with in ##\langle B|L|A\rangle##).

4. Sep 15, 2015 #3
    since the problems says for every state A so should I write as following ##<A_i|L|A_i>=0 \to ## then as before
    ## <B_j|L|A_i>=\sum_{i}<B_j|A_i><A_i|L|A_i>=0##
    is it right now?

5. Sep 15, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, it is still wrong. You cannot let the state you are summing over in the completeness relation be denoted by the same as the state you have on the left-hand side. It is simply not correct.

6. Sep 15, 2015 #5
    should I solve it without the resolution of Identity?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted