Linear Operator L with Zero Matrix Elements

In summary, the problem states that for a linear operator L, if <A|L|A> = 0 for every state A, then all matrix elements <B|L|A> = 0 and L = 0. To prove this, we cannot use the resolution of identity method and must find another approach.
sayebms

Homework Statement

Suppose a linear operator L satisfies <A|L|A> = 0 for every state A. Show that then all matrix elements <B|L|A> = 0, and hence L = 0.

Homework Equations

##<A|L|A>=L_{AA} and <B|L|A>=L_{BA}##

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems very straight forward and I don't know how to prove it but here is what I have tried:
##<B|L|A> \to##Using resolution of Identity ##\to \sum_{A} <B|A><A|L|A> \to <B|L|A>=0##
Is it right or do I need to write more.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is not correct, you are summing over A and at the same time assuming that ##|A\rangle## is a fixed state (i.e., the one you started with in ##\langle B|L|A\rangle##).

since the problems says for every state A so should I write as following ##<A_i|L|A_i>=0 \to ## then as before
## <B_j|L|A_i>=\sum_{i}<B_j|A_i><A_i|L|A_i>=0##
is it right now?

No, it is still wrong. You cannot let the state you are summing over in the completeness relation be denoted by the same as the state you have on the left-hand side. It is simply not correct.

should I solve it without the resolution of Identity?

1. What are quantum mechanics operators?

Quantum mechanics operators are mathematical functions that represent physical observables in quantum mechanics. They are used to describe the behavior of particles on a quantum level.

2. How do quantum mechanics operators work?

Quantum mechanics operators operate on a quantum state, which is represented by a wave function. They transform the wave function into a different wave function, representing the state of the system after the operator has acted on it.

3. What are some common examples of quantum mechanics operators?

Some common examples of quantum mechanics operators include the position operator, momentum operator, and angular momentum operator. These operators correspond to physical observables such as position, momentum, and angular momentum, respectively.

4. How are quantum mechanics operators related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

Quantum mechanics operators are related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle in that the uncertainty in the measurement of one observable is related to the uncertainty in the measurement of another observable. This is because the operators for these observables do not commute, meaning their order of operation affects the outcome of the measurement.

5. Can multiple quantum mechanics operators be applied to a single system?

Yes, multiple quantum mechanics operators can be applied to a single system. However, the order in which they are applied can affect the outcome of the measurement, as mentioned in the uncertainty principle. This is known as the operator ordering problem in quantum mechanics.