1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics problem

1. Jun 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let C|+-> = +-|+->, and consider a state |psi> = cosT|+> + sinT|->. Find T such that the product of uncertainties, deltaAdeltaB, vanishes (i.e. becomes zero).

*Note: +- means plus or minus repectively.

2. Relevant equations
    [A,B] = iC
    In a previous question I proved deltaAdeltaB>=1/2|<psi|C|psi>| using the Schwarz inequality and some other stuff.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So we want 1/2|<psi|C|psi>| = 0.
    i.e. |<psi|CcosT|+> + <psi|CsinT|->| = 0.

Then I assumed <psi| = +|cosT + <-|sinT similarly to the psi ket.

So
    |<+|(cosT)^2.C|+> + <-|sinT.C.cosT|+> + <+|cosT.C.sinT|-> + <-|(sinT)^2.C|->| = 0

Then use C|+-> = +-|+-> and similarly I assumed <+-|C = <+-|+- for the C bra.

So
    |<+|(cosT)^2|+> + <-|sinTcosT|+> + <+|cosTsinT|-> + <-|(sinT)^2|->| = 0
    |(cosT)^2 + sinTcosT<-|+> + sinTcosT<+|-> + (sinT)^2| = 0
    |(cosT)^2 - sinTcosT<+|-> + sinTcosT<+|-> + (sinT)^2| = 0
    |(cosT)^2 + (sinT)^2| = 0
    which is clearly nonsense.

Are my assumptions incorrect? Am I not allowed to convert the ket formalism to the bra formalism in this manner?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2009 #2
    I came up with a different way to do the problem using <psi| = -|cosT + <+|sinT which gives me
    |2sinTcosT| = 0
    |sin2T| = 0 by double angle formula
    T = n.Pi/2 , n an integer

But I still don't know if what I'm doing is right (actually I suspect it's wrong).

4. Jun 25, 2009 #3
    I posted this over three days ago. How long does it usually take? Surely someone can help with a second year QM problem?

5. Jun 25, 2009 #4

drizzle

Gold Member

your work seems fine in your first post, but I doubt the signs of the products in the pre-last
    equation, try first to find out what you come up with in this:
    <epsi|epsi>=1=...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook