How Can Uncertainty Product DeltaADeltaB Be Zero in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the value of T in order for the product of uncertainties, deltaAdeltaB, to equal zero. This is done by using the previous question's proof that deltaAdeltaB is greater than or equal to 1/2|<psi|C|psi>|. The conversation then goes on to explore different attempts at solving the problem, with one ultimately finding the solution to be T = n.Pi/2, where n is an integer. However, there is some uncertainty about the correctness of the solution and further clarification is requested.
Gray

Homework Statement

Let C|+-> = +-|+->, and consider a state |psi> = cosT|+> + sinT|->. Find T such that the product of uncertainties, deltaAdeltaB, vanishes (i.e. becomes zero).

*Note: +- means plus or minus repectively.

Homework Equations

[A,B] = iC
In a previous question I proved deltaAdeltaB>=1/2|<psi|C|psi>| using the Schwarz inequality and some other stuff.

The Attempt at a Solution

So we want 1/2|<psi|C|psi>| = 0.
i.e. |<psi|CcosT|+> + <psi|CsinT|->| = 0.

Then I assumed <psi| = +|cosT + <-|sinT similarly to the psi ket.

So
|<+|(cosT)^2.C|+> + <-|sinT.C.cosT|+> + <+|cosT.C.sinT|-> + <-|(sinT)^2.C|->| = 0

Then use C|+-> = +-|+-> and similarly I assumed <+-|C = <+-|+- for the C bra.

So
|<+|(cosT)^2|+> + <-|sinTcosT|+> + <+|cosTsinT|-> + <-|(sinT)^2|->| = 0
|(cosT)^2 + sinTcosT<-|+> + sinTcosT<+|-> + (sinT)^2| = 0
|(cosT)^2 - sinTcosT<+|-> + sinTcosT<+|-> + (sinT)^2| = 0
|(cosT)^2 + (sinT)^2| = 0
which is clearly nonsense.

Are my assumptions incorrect? Am I not allowed to convert the ket formalism to the bra formalism in this manner?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I came up with a different way to do the problem using <psi| = -|cosT + <+|sinT which gives me
|2sinTcosT| = 0
|sin2T| = 0 by double angle formula
T = n.Pi/2 , n an integer

But I still don't know if what I'm doing is right (actually I suspect it's wrong).

I posted this over three days ago. How long does it usually take? Surely someone can help with a second year QM problem?

your work seems fine in your first post, but I doubt the signs of the products in the pre-last
equation, try first to find out what you come up with in this:
<epsi|epsi>=1=...

1. What is quantum mechanics and why is it important?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is important because it provides a fundamental understanding of the physical world and has led to the development of many modern technologies, such as transistors and lasers.

2. What is the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. This is because the act of measuring one property of a particle affects the measurement of the other property.

3. How does quantum mechanics explain the behavior of particles?

Quantum mechanics explains the behavior of particles through the use of wave functions, which describe the probability of finding a particle in a certain location. This probabilistic nature of particles allows for phenomena such as superposition and entanglement.

4. What are some real-world applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has a wide range of applications, including the development of transistors, lasers, and computer technologies. It is also used in fields such as cryptography, quantum computing, and quantum teleportation.

5. What are the challenges in understanding and applying quantum mechanics?

One of the main challenges in understanding and applying quantum mechanics is the fact that it goes against our classical intuition of how the world works. The probabilistic nature of particles and the concept of superposition can be difficult to grasp. Additionally, many phenomena in quantum mechanics can only be observed at a very small scale, making it difficult to directly test and apply in everyday life.