1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum mechanics problem

1. Oct 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi, I have a problem I have been trying to do for a few days and I am not getting it. Any hints would be greatly appreciated. The question is from "The physics of Quantum Mechanics" by Binney and Skinner.

The question states:
    Let ##\psi##(x) be a properly normalised wavefunction and Q an operator on wavefunctions. Let {qr} be the spectrum of Q and let {Ur(x)} be the corresponding correctly normalised eigenfunctions. Write down an expression for the probability that a measure of Q will yeild the value qr.

Show that ##\Sigma_r P(q_r |\psi) = 1##.

Show further that the expectation of Q is ## \langle Q \rangle = \int _{-\infty} ^\infty \psi^* Q \psi dx## .

2. Relevant equations and attempt

So for the first part, the probability amplitude of measuring qr given the system is in the state ## |\psi\rangle ## is given by ## \langle q _ r | \psi \rangle = \int _{-\infty} ^\infty u_r^*(x) \psi(x) dx## .

and taking the mod squared of this gives the probability the question is asking for.

The next part says that summing these probabilities over all r = 1??? I understand what this means (probability of finding a value of q within the spectrum given = 1), but don't know how to show this.

As for the last part, the expectation value is the sum of the
    probabilities of getting each value of q multiplied by the value qr, so $$ \langle Q \rangle = \Sigma _ r q_r | \int _ {-\infty}^\infty u_r^*(x) \psi(x) dx |^2 $$

Cant get any further....

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2014 #2
    sorry, latex not working let me try again...

fixed it...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  4. Oct 19, 2014 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Try expanding ##\lvert \psi \rangle## in terms of the eigenstates.

5. Oct 20, 2014 #4
    Thanks Vela,

I am thinking ##|\psi\rangle = \int_{-\infty} ^\infty \psi(x) |x\rangle## But is it also the case that ##\psi(x) = \sum a_r u_r(x)## where the ##a_r##s are probability amplitudes in Q space.

Can I say that ##|\psi\rangle = \int_{-\infty} ^\infty (\sum a_r u_r(x)) |x\rangle##

6. Oct 20, 2014 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes, and that would be equivalent to saying ##\lvert \psi \rangle = \sum_r a_r \lvert q_r \rangle##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted