1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics question

1. Feb 7, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assume that a particle in a one-dimensional box is in its first excited state. Calculate the expectation values [x], [p], and [E], and the uncertainties
    delta(x), delta(p), and delta(E). Verify that delta(x)*delta(p)>=h_bar/2.

2. Relevant equations

Psi=sqrt(2/a) cos(pi*x/a) e^(-i*E*t/h_bar)

[x]=Int(Psi_star x Psi, -a/2, a/2)

[p]=Int(Psi_star (-i*h_bar*d/dx) Psi, -a/2, a/2)

[E]=Int(Psi_star (i*h_bar*d/dt) Psi, -a/2, a/2)

3. The attempt at a solution

After evaluating the above integrals, I get:

[x]=0

[p]=0

[E]=h_bar*pi^2*n^2 / 2*m*a^2

I am trying to calculate the quantities delta(x), delta(p), and delta(E) but I am having trouble doing that. Can you please suggest some hints on how to proceed. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2007 #2
    What are the definitions of delta(x) and delta(p) in terms of expectation values?

4. Feb 7, 2007 #3
    This is a trivial question, but would I be able to approximate it using the relations:

delta(x)=h_bar/sqrt(2m(V0 - E))

5. Feb 7, 2007 #4
    That's a new relation to me. Just look at the definition of the variance and follow the prescription.

6. Feb 7, 2007 #5
    Yep. You need to calculate six expectation values in order to calculate deltax, deltap and deltaE, and only three of them are <x>, <p> and <E>.

7. Feb 8, 2007 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you know a reason why [itex] \Delta E [/itex] is zero for this problem ? Besides the actual computation of it, which can be avoided by knowing this reason.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?