1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics question

1. Dec 11, 2007 #1
    By the way, this isn't a homework problem, it's self study.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We're given that we have a wave function in an infinite potential well, with the well having 0 PE from 0 to a. The wave function would be described by

[tex]{\Phi}_n={\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}Sin({\frac{n{\pi}x}{a})}[/tex]. It was given that the function is originally in it's second exicited state, meaning it's original state can be described by [tex]{\Phi}_3={\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}Sin({\frac{3{\pi}x}{a})}[/tex]

The box is suddenly expanded, so that it's rightmost boundary is now 2a. This means the new basis vectors are of the form
    [tex]|{\Theta}_n>={\sqrt{\frac{1}{a}}} Sin{\frac{n{\pi}x}{2a}})[/tex]

What the book asks is for me to find the probability of this particle being found in states n=1 and 2. I figured the probability of finding it in any given state would be [tex]<{\Theta}_n|{\Phi_3}>[/tex]
    =[tex]{\int}_0^{2a}({\sqrt{\frac{1}{a}}} Sin({\frac{n{\pi}x}{2a}}))({\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}Sin({\frac{3{\pi}x}{a})})dx[/tex]

I had no problems up to here. It's the next step in their analysis that threw me off.

Looks like they simplified the equation in the exact same way that I did. The problem is that the upper limit of integration has changed from 2a to a. I've been looking at this problem for a while now and I cannot figure out why the limit of integration changes. Why is it that the upper limit of integration changes from 2a to a when all they did was simplify a few terms? Shouldn't the limit of integration still be 2a? When I do use 2a, all of the probabilities vanish, so obviously I'm wrong and the book is right. I just cannot figure out why that is the case. Why does the upper limit become a instead of 2a?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2007 #2
    Shouldn't it be 0 to a from the beginning since that is the area the particle is confined to immediately after the walls have been expanded?
  4. Dec 11, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The integration is from 0 to 2a, but your initial wavefunction is zero for |x|>a
  5. Dec 11, 2007 #4
    Oh, thanks, I didn't forgot about that. Thank you.
  6. Dec 11, 2007 #5
    Wait, in that case, shouldn't the equations be:

=[tex]{\int}_0^{a}({\sqrt{\frac{1}{a}}} Sin({\frac{n{\pi}x}{2a}}))({\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}Sin({\frac{3{\pi}x}{a})})dx[/tex] ?

Because the book does in fact write this integral out with 2a as the upper limit of integration.
  7. Dec 11, 2007 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

then that's a typo in the book.
  8. Dec 11, 2007 #7
    Oh okay, thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?