1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics Question

1. Sep 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am currently doing undergraduate research and was assigned this as sort of an introduction. I am sure this is a very rudimentary problem and appreciate any help.

Basically, its your regular old H*psi = E*psi.

Well, knowing that H is psi(-D^2/Dx^2 + cosx + sin^2x = E*psi

and I want to prove that Ne^(lambda(1-cos)) is where E is equal to zero where N is the normalization constant and lambda is an arbitrary constant.

2. The attempt at a solution

The thing that I tried to do was divide by psi, and set E=0 to completely get rid of psi. I am not sure if I am allowed to do this but I did. This left me with

-D^2/Dx^2 + cosx + sin^2x = 0.

From there, I moved them to seperate sides and doubly integrated. I got

ln|x| = cos^2(x)/4 - cos(x) +x^2/4

and exponentating I got

x = e^(Cos^2(x)/4 - cos(x) +x^2/4)

The problem is, without psi, I don't think that derivitave means anything and so I think I need to somehow keep the psi in there but I don't know what to do other than to divide out psi.

I would also rather a few hints instead of an explicit solution; I am sure that its just something that I am over looking and with a hint or two, I could do this.

I am very gracious of your help,

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

H operates on psi. So the equation is -psi(x)''+(cos(x)+sin^2(x))*psi(x)=0. And you don't have to solve it. Just substitute psi(x)=N*exp(lambda*(1-cos(x)). I think you'll find it works for only one choice of lambda.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?