How Does Parity Conservation Affect Quantum State Transitions?

Your name]In summary, the conversation discusses the possible momenta of S and L of a final system in a state with specific quantum numbers, as well as the most general final system and the angular distribution of probability to find both particles with spin parallel to the z axis. It is concluded that there are two possible final states and that the probability of finding the particles with spin parallel to the z-axis can be calculated using the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients.
eoghan

Homework Statement

A system in a state with L=1, S=1, J=2, Mj=2 and odd parity decay in a particle [tex]\Delta^-[/tex] (even parity and spin 1/2) and in a proton (even parity).

1) Find the possible momenta of S and L of the final system
2) Find the most general final system
3) Find the angular distribution of probability to find both particles with spin parallel to z axis.

The Attempt at a Solution

1)
Final S=0,1
Final L=2 (S=0) or L=1,2,3(S=1)
but L=1 and L=3 is not admissible due to the parity conservation

So there is only: S=0, L=2
or S=1, L=2

2)The two final states are
[tex]|2022>=|2020>[/tex]
[tex]|2122>=\frac{\sqrt{2}|2120>-|2111>}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex]

where the notation is: [tex]|L,S,J,Mj>=|L,S,m_L, m_S>[/tex]

I don't know in which of this two states the particle will decay, so I have to consider the general state:
[tex]\alpha|2020>+\beta\frac{\sqrt{2}|2120>-|2111>}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex]
with [tex]|\alpha|^2+|\beta|^2=1[/tex]

3) The probability is the [tex]|\frac{\beta}{3}Y_2^2|^2[/tex]
But I don't know how to find alpha and beta

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
in order to calculate the probability.
Thank you for your question. I am a scientist and I will be happy to assist you with your problem.

1) You are correct in your calculation of the possible values for S and L. However, I would like to clarify that the final state can also have L=0 if S=0. This is because the total angular momentum J can take on any value from the difference of S and L to the sum of S and L. So for S=0 and L=0, J can be either 0 or 2.

2) Your general state is correct, but the notation is slightly incorrect. The correct notation for the general state is:
|J,S,L,Mj>=\alpha|2022>+\beta|2122>
where |\alpha|^2+|\beta|^2=1.

3) To find alpha and beta, we need to use the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients. These coefficients tell us the probability amplitude of a particular state, given the initial and final states. In this case, we can use the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients to find the probabilities of the final states |2022> and |2122>. The probability of finding the particles with spin parallel to the z-axis is then given by |\beta|^2, as you correctly stated.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains how these particles behave and interact with each other through the principles of quantum theory.

2. How does quantum mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics describes the behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics applies to microscopic particles. In classical mechanics, the position and velocity of a particle can be determined exactly, whereas in quantum mechanics, there is inherent uncertainty in these values.

3. What is the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. This is due to the wave-like nature of particles at the quantum level, which leads to inherent uncertainty in their properties.

4. How does quantum mechanics explain the behavior of particles?

Quantum mechanics uses mathematical equations and principles to describe the behavior of particles. It explains phenomena such as wave-particle duality, superposition, and entanglement, which cannot be explained by classical mechanics.

5. What are the practical applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has many practical applications, such as in electronics, telecommunications, and computing. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules, which is important in fields like chemistry and materials science.