1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum mechanics quick question

1. Dec 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Where would the expectation value on a 2p orbital lie??? and where would you likely find the electron relative to the maximum?

2. Relevant equations

found on a forum that the expectation value is n^2 a_0 but id like a more reliable source

3. The attempt at a solution

have an exam in morning and its just something which would be nice to know before i walk out the door.

using the formula gives an idea but im not sure if thats even a proper formula. if i was to guess id say under the maximum of the "fat" part of the orbital since its an average value. and for the second part im guessing that to would be where the orbital is thickest, even though i know an orbital is an area of probability so technically it could be everywhere at once in the orbital.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Expectation value of what — r, x, y, z?

4. Dec 19, 2011 #3
    question doesnt say, id guessing it means the average position of an electron so maybe take 2p_x and find <x>

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook