1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Quantum Mechanics Textbook,Zettili vs Shankar

1. Aug 28, 2017 #1
    Hello Everyone, I am an undergraduate physics student who planned to study quantum mechanics. I have been reading the introductory book by Griffiths, however I found that his book seldom uses Dirac Notation and there is little about mathematical formalism on quantum mechanics. Therefore I would like to get a supplementary book to enhance my understanding on quantum mechanics.

I noticed that a number of students suggest the book by Zettili(Quantum mechanics concepts and applications),but on the other hand,Shankar's Book(Principles of quantum mechanics)is also popular。Therefore, I would like to ask which book would you prefer?Thank you!

P.S. Anyway,I would definitely get a copy of J.J Sakurai Modern Quantum Mechanics which is listed as reference by Professors,my major concern is that would there be any significant amount of overlapping materials or topics between any of the books above with that of J.J Sakurai, Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2017 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I don't know the Zettili book, but Shankar is a good choice. If you want a book at the same level as Griffiths, there is McIntyre which uses a state-first approach, but is also low on the math.

4. Aug 28, 2017 #3
    Shankar is more advanced then Zettili. What's great, Zettili has plenty and plenty of worked problems. Shankar on the other hand made a lot of things clearer to me. Both use Dirac notation from the very beginning.

5. Aug 28, 2017 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I do not recommend Zettili as a primary source for learning quantum mechanics, but, because
    Zettili is an excellent secondary source.

I, too, like McIntyre as a Dirac-approach alternative to Griffiths that is at about the same level as Griffiths.

6. Aug 28, 2017 #5
    DrClaude:
    Thanks for the advice,I will take a look at the book by McIntyre。

Frimus:
    It seems that Shankar's book is better at conceptual building than that of Zettili, well if this truly is the case, then I will loan the book from library rather than getting a copy of it, by the way, thanks for the advice.

George Jones:
    Thanks for the advice. However, I would like to ask, in case it is a secondary source with plenty of exercise, is it worth to spend a few to get a second hand copy of it? Thank you!

7. Aug 28, 2017 #6
    Neither. You cannot do better than McIntyre at the UG level that uses Dirac Notation. It has plenty of good exercises as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted