Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: (Quantum Mechanics)

1. Nov 15, 2006 #1
    Please Help! (Quantum Mechanics)

I posted this in the Quantum Physics forum as well, but I ran across this one and thought it may help to put it here too. Sorry for the double post.

Hi everyone... I am new to this site. I am currently taking a major-related Chemistry course that is concentrating on quantum mechanics right now. I have been working on a homework question for about an hour now, and I am no closer to figuring it out than when I started. Something tells me that it's probably a pretty easy question, if I just knew where to begin. I need to calculate the longest wavelength (minimum frequency, right?) of light in nm that can be used to eject electrons from a surface, given that it takes 254kJ/mole. Can someone please help me!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2006 #2
    Light comes in packets. How much energy that packet has depends on the frequency. You need to find the energy it takes to eject a single electron (remember the size of a mole?) and find the frequency of light that has that amount of energy per packet (or quantum).

4. Nov 15, 2006 #3
    Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! You are a life saver! I was trying to make things way too difficult! :biggrin:

5. Dec 10, 2006 #4
    You can get a better understanding of Quantum Mechanics basics through OCW courses. Check out the following ocw courses from MIT and TUFTS.
    http://www.opencontentonline.com/search.php?query_text=quantum+mechanics [Broken]

Cheers
    Trilateral

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook