Continue Learning Quantum Mechanics: Next Steps & Resources

In summary, the next topics to learn in quantum mechanics are second quantification, green function, propagators, coherence, and quantum interference. These are the next level of quantum mechanics and should be studied after the basics are learned.
ziad1985
I had a course last semester which was an introduction to quantum mechanics.
The course ended in Perturbation Theory , and Diffusion.
So I wonder what should be next to learn in quantum mechanics, i want to continue studying it myself , So what are the next topics to learn and what kind of mathematical formalism do i need to learn them?
Any books recommended?

This is kind important because there is Course about quantum mechanics will deal with second quantification green function Propagators Coherence and quantum interference.
so my other question would be should are these the next level or there is some stuff in between ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What text did you use? (Where does your textbook end?)
What aspects of QM (and physics in general) are you interested in?
abstract? theoretical? applied? experimental? computational?...

Well no textbook , my teacher used his knowledge , my main interest is more theoretical and i want something in relation to particle physics.
The course ended in Perturbation theory(covering also time perturbation) and scattering (dunno if my translation from French to English is right but i think it's called scattering).

Last edited:
I already have Cohen-Tannoudji that what i used myself to study , every topic addressed in the book i have studied it, looking for the next level.
My knowledge level include what's in the book.

Sorry i just checked the second book , so your recommendation is to get a introductory level of QED?

ziad1985 said:
I had a course last semester which was an introduction to quantum mechanics.
The course ended in Perturbation Theory , and Diffusion.
So I wonder what should be next to learn in quantum mechanics, i want to continue studying it myself , So what are the next topics to learn and what kind of mathematical formalism do i need to learn them?
Any books recommended?

This is kind important because there is Course about quantum mechanics will deal with second quantification green function Propagators Coherence and quantum interference.
so my other question would be should are these the next level or there is some stuff in between ?

Looks like we're in the same boat, because this is where my last quantum course ended. From what I've been told by professors, our next stop is a graduate level course in quantum mechanics (which is actually what I'm planning on taking next Fall in grad school). Or does your school offer more undergrad classes in quantum mechanics?

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually arunma , I'm not quiet familiar with undergrad and grad system, the system here is a bit different.
what i can tell you that i already finished what would be equivalent of a BS degree in general physics last semester.This is year(2 semesters) would be an Equivalent of an M1 master degree in The LMD system.
I have a choice to take one extra semester after i finish this year and take some extra courses , one of them includes Quantum mechanics which involves some stuff i already mentioned "second quantification, green function, Propagators, Coherence, and quantum interference".
I'm thinking of not taking that extra semester , instead I'm planning to continue my studies and try to get the M2 degree in "Saint Joseph Fourier" in Grenoble, France.
I want to continue in particle physics and they have quiet a good program their offering pretty the same stuff that I'd take in that extra semester.

For particle physics, you might want to try Halzen & Martin, Quarks and Leptons. The university library should have that one. I've also heard good things about Griffiths's particle physics book.

"Halzen & Martin, Quarks and Leptons" actually i already saw this book before , but never had the idea to take it.
Would the math involved be something already i know , or new stuff ?
I'll search for the other book.

ziad1985 said:
"Halzen & Martin, Quarks and Leptons" actually i already saw this book before , but never had the idea to take it.
Would the math involved be something already i know , or new stuff ?
I'll search for the other book.

I don't think there's any new math in it. I think QM is all that's required.

Also look for Aitchison & Hey, Gauge Theories of Particle Physics.

I'll see to get these 3 books then.
Thank you very much for your help..

1. What are some recommended resources for continuing to learn quantum mechanics?

Some recommended resources for continuing to learn quantum mechanics include textbooks such as "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths and "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman. Online resources such as MIT OpenCourseWare and Coursera also offer courses on quantum mechanics.

2. What are some important topics to focus on when continuing to learn quantum mechanics?

Some important topics to focus on when continuing to learn quantum mechanics include advanced mathematical concepts such as linear algebra and differential equations, as well as specific quantum mechanics topics such as the Schrödinger equation, quantum states and operators, and the uncertainty principle.

3. How can I apply my knowledge of quantum mechanics in real-world situations?

Quantum mechanics has numerous real-world applications, including in fields such as electronics, materials science, and cryptography. Understanding quantum mechanics can also lead to advancements in technology and scientific research.

4. Are there any online communities or forums for discussing quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are online communities and forums dedicated to discussing quantum mechanics, such as the Quantum Computing Stack Exchange and the Physics Forums. These platforms allow for discussions, questions, and collaborations with other individuals interested in quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any further steps I can take to deepen my understanding of quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are several ways to deepen your understanding of quantum mechanics. You can attend conferences and seminars, participate in research projects, and read current articles and publications in the field. You can also consider pursuing a graduate degree in physics or a related field with a focus on quantum mechanics.