How do you feel about Quantum Mechanics?

In summary: Originally posted by zoobyshoe So you find it aesthically unpleasing? Well, physical theories are just meant to be functional. In general yes. Most of the conclusions seem to have been drawn in a logical manner, it is when you cannot explain things logically that the question begins to get a bit vague.
Astronomer107

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe there should be a step between I practically invented it and "I understand it a bit" for people (definetly not me) who understand it a lot but still wouldn't say they kenw so much they practically invented it.

Cloudy picture...

The basic principles, I understand, but certainly not the mathematics (I'm only 14!).

I've had formal training in it so, I'm perfectly happy with anything at undergraduate level, though I do have to refer back to my textbooks quite alot.

Originally posted by Astronomer107

The way things are always breaking these days its always helpful to have a good mechanic in the neighborhood. :wink:

"Having a question is greater than having an answer."

Is thaaaat right?? Is having a question greater than having an answer??

Creator

Last edited:
There's a saying that if you understand quantum mechanics you don't understand it.

Originally posted by Creator

Is thaaaat right?? Is having a question greater than having an answer??

Creator

Picasso once said: Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.

Originally posted by Tail
Picasso once said: Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.

Someone once said: Painting is useless. It's only done by those who can't master photography.

Last edited:
General ideas? yes.

Some of the general mathematics? sort of.

Some of the advanced mathematical concepts? not yet :smile:.

Speaking of Picasso, from my per-
spective quantum mechanics does
for physics what Picasso did for
the human figure.

And please don't take that the
wrong way: I think Picasso was
a horrible artist.

Originally posted by zoobyshoe
Speaking of Picasso, from my per-
spective quantum mechanics does
for physics what Picasso did for
the human figure.

And please don't take that the
wrong way: I think Picasso was
a horrible artist.

So you find it aesthically unpleasing? Well, physical theories are just meant to be functional.

In general yes. Most of the conclusions seem to have been drawn in a logical manner , it is when you cannot explain things logically that the question begins to get a bit vague.

1. What is Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It explains how particles behave and interact with each other, and how they make up the fundamental building blocks of the universe.

2. Why is Quantum Mechanics important?

Quantum mechanics is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It also forms the basis for many modern technologies, such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory.

3. How does Quantum Mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics describes the behavior of macroscopic objects, while Quantum mechanics describes the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. Classical mechanics follows deterministic laws, whereas Quantum mechanics is probabilistic in nature.

4. What are some of the key principles of Quantum Mechanics?

Some key principles of Quantum mechanics include the uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle simultaneously, and the wave-particle duality, which describes how particles can exhibit properties of both waves and particles.

5. What are some real-world applications of Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has many real-world applications, such as in quantum computing, where quantum particles are used to store and process information, and in cryptography, where the principles of quantum mechanics are used to create secure communication systems. It also has applications in medicine, materials science, and energy production.