Quantum Mechanics pendulum problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the value of n for which the non-negligible quantum amplitudes of a grandfather clock's pendulum will cluster. This is done by equating the energy of a classical harmonic oscillator to (n+1/2) h/2pi w, where w is the angular frequency and h is Planck's constant. The height of the pendulum's swing can be found using the formula T = 2pi sqrt(l/g), where T is the period and l is the length of the string. The final answer for n may seem large, but it is correct.
bon

Homework Statement

The pendulum of a grandfather clock has a period of 1s and makes excursions of 3cm either side of dead centre. Given that the bob weighs 0.2kg, around what value of n would you expect its non negligible quantum amplitudes to cluster?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the n here refers to the nth energy eigenvalue so En = (n + 1/2) h/2pi w

How do i work this out? My guess is that I need to work out the energy of a classical harmonic oscillator and equate this to (n+1/2) h/2pi w to get n?

So i know w = 2pi ... but how do i work out the energy of the oscillator? At max displacement it will have no KE, only PE..but how do i work out what this is?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
dude, draw a picture with both the equilibrium and final positions, then find out how high the final position is w.r.t to the equilibrium position.

graphene said:
dude, draw a picture with both the equilibrium and final positions, then find out how high the final position is w.r.t to the equilibrium position.

thanks..but this is my problem. i don't know how high the final position is wrt initial position... all they say is that it makes excursions of 3cm either side of dead centre...but i don't know what what angle it is at at the extrema, so how can i work out how high it goes?

Thanks

If you have the period, don't you have the length? T = 2pi sqrt(l/g) approximately.
From this you can get the height? I have no knowledge of quantum mechanics so this is just a shot in the dark.

Thanks, but l in that equation gives you the length of the string. I still don't see how you can get the height..

bon said:
Thanks, but l in that equation gives you the length of the string. I still don't see how you can get the height..

Again, just a shot in the dark, but by height I'm guessing you mean the height the mass reaches at it's full swing?
You know its 3 cm far, and l long. The height is x= 3 /(tan ( 90 - arctan(3/l))

ok thanks so i get h = 1.79 x 10^-3m

is this right?

This means E total = mgh = 0.2 * 9.8 * h = 3.5 x 10^-3 J

so now do i set (n+1/2) h/2pi w = 3.5 x 10^-3 ?

This gives n as something ridiculously large (5.29 x 10 ^30). Is this right?

The equation I gave was wrong, sorry man. I have a new relation:

9 - 2Lx + x^2 = 0

which gives

x = L +- sqrt(4L^2 - 36) / 2This comes from considering it's equilibrium and max and getting an isosceles triangle.
You split it into 2 right angle triangles. Use pythagoras to get 3^2 + (L-x)^2 = L^2

Oh ok - i worked it out myself, using a different method, but i think the answer is the same, right?

Is my final answer correct then (to someone who knows about the quantum side of the question as well...)?

anyone?

it just seems the number n is too big... have i interpreted the question correctly?

1. What is the Quantum Mechanics pendulum problem?

The Quantum Mechanics pendulum problem is a theoretical problem that involves studying the behavior of a pendulum in the quantum realm, where classical mechanics no longer applies. This problem helps to illustrate the differences between classical and quantum mechanics and how particles behave at a microscopic level.

2. What is the Schrödinger equation and how is it used in the pendulum problem?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum system. In the pendulum problem, the Schrödinger equation is used to calculate the probability of finding the pendulum in a particular state at a given time.

3. What are the main differences between a classical and quantum pendulum?

A classical pendulum follows simple harmonic motion, where its position and velocity can be precisely determined at any given time. In contrast, a quantum pendulum does not have a definite position or velocity, and its behavior is governed by probabilities. Additionally, a classical pendulum has a continuous energy spectrum, while a quantum pendulum has a discrete energy spectrum.

4. How does the uncertainty principle apply to the Quantum Mechanics pendulum problem?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the precise position and momentum of a particle. In the pendulum problem, this means that as we try to measure the position of the pendulum more accurately, the uncertainty in its momentum increases, and vice versa.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Quantum Mechanics pendulum problem?

The Quantum Mechanics pendulum problem has applications in various fields, including engineering, chemistry, and physics. It helps to understand the behavior of quantum systems, which is crucial in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computers and sensors. It also plays a role in understanding chemical reactions and the behavior of particles in quantum systems, such as atoms and molecules.