1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics

1. Nov 13, 2012 #1
    I have an attachement added. I was hoping someone could shine some light on anything in that attachment. I took all the prof's notes and I have the book but neither one help. I am just looking for some direction or maybe a possible alternative book to use. Please help.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    You will do much better by asking specific questions.
    Why don't you comment on what strikes you about the attachment? That way we can see your thinking and thus where you need help the most.

4. Nov 14, 2012 #3
    I have zero idea about the whole thing...so the whole thing is striking

5. Nov 14, 2012 #4
    The solution to that differential equation is going to give you an answer with the form of A sin(λx) + B cos(λx). That should call to mind a certain simple system which you should be able to use to solve the first few questions.

So, which system does that differential equation, with those boundary conditions, represent?

6. Nov 14, 2012 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hi Aqualis; welcome to PF;
    kudos for helping someone on the first post :)
    the trick here is to help OP over the misunderstandings without actually doing the problem itself.

@Biirrdd: you appear to have been doing a course in QM: is that correct? That will include course notes.
    The attachment is asking you about a very common potential that is usually demonstrated in class. You first task, therefore, is to go through your notes and look for something like what is in the equations.

Hint: write down the 1D Schrodinger equation and compare it with the DE shown to you.
    What is V(x)? You've seen that before. Think "potential well" - what kinds do you know about?

7. Nov 14, 2012 #6
    Thank you for the help. I just did not understand the way the question was worded, but a classmate deciphered it for me. Thanks again!

8. Nov 14, 2012 #7

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes I figured as much ;) that was why I directed you at your course notes.
    Asking a classmate is also good. It is good exercise - you are training to be able to answer questions nobody knows the answer to. These questions are seldom phrased in a familiar way, so getting you to decipher word problems is actually an important part of your education.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook