Exploring the Larmor Formula and Energy Conservation for Electrons

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of energy conservation and classical F=ma to derive an expression for the evolution of the radius of an electron in circular motion. This involves using the Larmor formula and the adiabatic approximation, and results in the equation r3(t)=r3(0)-4r02ct, where r(0) is the initial radius at t=0 and r0=e2/(mc2) is the classical radius of the electron.
peripatein

Homework Statement

In classical electromagnetism, an accelerated charge emits electromagnetic radiation. In non-relativistic
limit, where the velocity of the electron is smaller than c, the total power radiated is given by the
Larmor formula, to wit P=2/3*e2*a2/c3, where a denotes the acceleration of the electron. I am expected to use energy conservation, dE/dt=P, to show that in the adiabatic approximation in which the orbit remains nearly circular at all times, the radius of the electron evolves with time as:
r3(t)=r3(0)-4r02ct, where r(0) is the initial radius at t=0 and r0=e2/(mc2) is the classical radius of the electron.

2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The general expression for energy in circular motion is:
E=1/2*m*ω2r2-e/r2
When I differentiate that wrt time and equate the result to P, I obtain the following:
md2r/dr2*dr/dt+2e(dr/dt)/r3=2/3*e*(d2r/dr2)2/c3 but I am not sure how to proceed. Any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not entirely sure, but using the fact ##dE = P \space dt##, and ##dE = m\omega^2r + \frac{2e}{r^3} \space dr##, I think you should solve:

$$\int P \space dt = \int [m\omega^2 + \frac{2e}{r^3}] \space dr$$

The general expression for energy in circular motion is:
E=1/2*m*ω2r2-e/r2
Doesn't look good to me.

Also, in this derivation you are supposed to make good use of a classical F = ma to give you an expression for a.

1. What is the Larmor formula?

The Larmor formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the amount of energy radiated by an accelerated charged particle, such as an electron. It takes into account the particle's charge, velocity, and acceleration.

2. How does the Larmor formula relate to energy conservation?

The Larmor formula is a result of the principle of energy conservation. It shows that the energy lost by the electron due to radiation is equal to the work done by the electric field on the electron, which is the change in the electron's kinetic energy.

3. What is the significance of the Larmor formula in physics?

The Larmor formula is important in understanding the behavior of charged particles, such as electrons, in electromagnetic fields. It is also used in various areas of physics, including particle accelerators, nuclear reactors, and astrophysics.

4. How does the Larmor formula change with different parameters?

The Larmor formula is directly proportional to the square of the particle's charge, the square of its velocity, and the square of its acceleration. It also depends on the angle between the particle's velocity and the direction of the electric field.

5. Can the Larmor formula be used for other particles besides electrons?

Yes, the Larmor formula can be used for any charged particle, as long as the particle's charge, velocity, and acceleration are known. It can also be extended to include relativistic effects for high-speed particles.