1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics

1. Nov 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In classical electromagnetism, an accelerated charge emits electromagnetic radiation. In non-relativistic
    limit, where the velocity of the electron is smaller than c, the total power radiated is given by the
    Larmor formula, to wit P=2/3*e2*a2/c3, where a denotes the acceleration of the electron. I am expected to use energy conservation, dE/dt=P, to show that in the adiabatic approximation in which the orbit remains nearly circular at all times, the radius of the electron evolves with time as:
    r3(t)=r3(0)-4r02ct, where r(0) is the initial radius at t=0 and r0=e2/(mc2) is the classical radius of the electron.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The general expression for energy in circular motion is:
    E=1/2*m*ω2r2-e/r2
    When I differentiate that wrt time and equate the result to P, I obtain the following:
    md2r/dr2*dr/dt+2e(dr/dt)/r3=2/3*e*(d2r/dr2)2/c3 but I am not sure how to proceed. Any advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2014 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

I'm not entirely sure, but using the fact ##dE = P \space dt##, and ##dE = m\omega^2r + \frac{2e}{r^3} \space dr##, I think you should solve:

$$\int P \space dt = \int [m\omega^2 + \frac{2e}{r^3}] \space dr$$

4. Nov 8, 2014 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Doesn't look good to me.

Also, in this derivation you are supposed to make good use of a classical F = ma to give you an expression for a.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted