Quantum Mechanics and conservation of momentum

In summary, the recoil kinetic energy and momentum of an atom must be taken into account when calculating the frequency of a photon emitted in a transition between two atomic levels. This results in a reduction in frequency by a factor of (1 - delta E/2Mc^2). This can be understood through conservation of momentum, where the momentum of the photon must equal the recoil momentum of the atom. This also affects the wavelength and frequency of the emitted light due to the Doppler effect.
ericboyer
I need help getting started solving the following.

Show that when the recoil kinetic energy of the atom, p^2/2M, is taken into account the frequency of a photon emitted in a transition between two atomic levels of energy difference delta-E is reduced by a factor which is approximately (1 - delta E/2Mc62). (Hint: The recoil momentum is p=hv/c.) Compare the wavelength of the light emitted from a hydrogen atom in the
3-->1 transistion when the recoil is taken into account to the wavelength without accounting for recoil.

My textbook is very vague on this topic so I was wandering if anyone knows where to start answering a question like this. Any useful formulas that I can use to do this proof. If so, do you have any good links relating to this material.

What is recoil kinetic energy and momentum? I understand that a photon is emitted when an electron is reduced to a lower energy state. I just don't understand how this recoil KE fits in and how to relate everything. I need a starting point!

Thanks for any help you can provide. I am not looking for someone to answer this for me, just someone to help me through it. Thanks.

:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with conservation of momentum. Before the photon is emitted, the net momentum of the system is 0, therefore the momentum of atom P = Mv must equal the momentum of the photon p = E/c = h[itex]\nu[/itex] for the net momentum to remain 0.

So the atom then recoils with a velocity v = P/M = p/M.

Now since the atom moves, the wavelength/frequency are affected - Doppler effect.

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It describes how these particles behave and interact with each other.

2. What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, meaning it does not change over time. This means that the total momentum of all particles in a system before an interaction is equal to the total momentum after the interaction.

3. How does quantum mechanics relate to conservation of momentum?

Quantum mechanics explains how particles behave and interact at a small scale, including how momentum is conserved. This is because, at the quantum level, particles can behave as both particles and waves, and their momentum is determined by the wave function describing their behavior.

4. Are there any exceptions to conservation of momentum in quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are some exceptions to conservation of momentum in quantum mechanics. For example, in the case of virtual particles, momentum can be temporarily violated as long as it is restored within a very short period of time. Additionally, quantum tunneling, where particles can pass through barriers they would not be able to in classical mechanics, also involves some violation of conservation of momentum.

5. How is conservation of momentum important in everyday life?

Conservation of momentum is important in everyday life because it governs the behavior of all objects and interactions in the world. It allows us to understand and predict the motion of objects, from the movement of planets in our solar system to the bouncing of a basketball. It also plays a crucial role in technologies such as rockets, where conservation of momentum is used to propel them forward.