Valid Quantum Number Sets: Analyzing n, l, and ml Values for Set 1, 2, and 3

In summary, the conversation is about determining the validity of three different sets of quantum numbers. The options given are a) set 1 only, b) set 2 only, c) set 3 only, d) all sets are valid, and e) no sets are valid. After reviewing the table, it is determined that set 2 is the only one that is not valid. Therefore, the correct answer is b), set 2 only. The conversation also discusses the importance of not guessing, but rather applying the rules on n, l, and ml when determining the validity of quantum numbers.
lorka150
I have a chart and I have to say if any of the sets are not valid:

------------------------
_____n__l__ml
Set 1: 6 4 -4
Set 2: 1 0 -1
Set 3: 4 1 1

-----------------------
and my choices are:
a) set 1 only
b) set 2 only
c) set 3 only
d) all sets are valid
e) no sets are valid

I chose b, because it set 2 is not valid, and I know that a IS valid (so that woudl be the only choice).

I am not positive if this is correct. but i think so? thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I went over them with the table, and it looks like Set 2 is the only one that is not valid.

1. What is a quantum number?

A quantum number is a numerical value that describes the energy, spin, and other properties of an electron in an atom. There are four types of quantum numbers: principal, azimuthal, magnetic, and spin.

2. How many quantum numbers are there?

There are four quantum numbers: principal, azimuthal, magnetic, and spin. However, there can be multiple values for each quantum number, allowing for a more precise description of an electron's properties.

3. How are quantum numbers determined?

Quantum numbers are determined through mathematical equations and observations from experiments. They are used to describe the properties and behavior of electrons in an atom.

4. What is the significance of quantum numbers?

Quantum numbers are significant because they provide a way to describe and understand the behavior of electrons in an atom. They help to explain how electrons are arranged in energy levels and how they interact with each other.

5. Can quantum numbers change?

Yes, quantum numbers can change. The principal quantum number can increase as electrons move to higher energy levels, and the magnetic quantum number can change as electrons move to different orbitals within an energy level. The spin quantum number can also change if an electron's spin direction changes.