1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Numbers for a couple of electrons Help needed!

1. Apr 25, 2005 #1
    Good evening scholars! i just had a couple of questions about QNs.

ok so the problem says:

Give the sets of {n, l, m, s} for the electrons in:
    a) [tex]4p^2[/tex]
    b) [tex]6s^2[/tex]

i just want to see if i'm on the right track. here's what i put for the first one (a):

n= 4
    l= 1
    m= -1, 0
    s= +/- 1/2

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2005 #2
    Keep in mind that m is from -L TO +L
    m would be -1, 0 , and +1
    your spin is fine

what about the [itex] 6s^2 [/itex]
    so obvious n =6,
    p = ?? for the s shell waht is the P value?
    and thus what is the m value and s values correspondingly?
  4. Apr 25, 2005 #3
    true, but i thought since it said that only the first two orbitals of the "p" subshell contain electrons, i thought that since the lowest level energy shells get filled up first, only the -1, and 0 would be the only possible orbitals where electrons are located. is that wrong of me? :frown:

as for the [tex]6^2[/tex], ok lets see:
    n=6 like you said, l=0 and m=0 (because there's only one orbital in the "s" subshell so that means that it is in the 0 orbital - or middle i suppose?). s= plus or minus 1/2 and l-
  5. Apr 25, 2005 #4

my mistake, for the 4p2 you are correct the p orbital would be filled up for the -1 and 0 part
    however, since you fill in teh positive spins in first both the electrons have positive spin
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?