Unravelling the Mystery of J & l Quantum Numbers

In summary, the conversation discussed the difference between using J and l for quantum numbers and their relation to rotational transitions for diatomic molecules. The energy of a photon going from level J to level J-1 is equal to Jh^2/4pi^2mu(r^2), while the rotational energy is given by E_{rot}=\frac{L^2}{2I}=\frac{l(l+1)h^2}{8\pi^2\mu(r^2)}. The connection between J and l is that 2J=l(l+1). However, it was mentioned that there are many different notations and conventions used for quantum numbers, so it's important to refer to the specific definition given. Additionally
Ayame17
[SOLVED] Quantum Numbers

What is the difference between using J and l for quantum numbers? I have some lecture notes that aren't fully explained. It was talking about rotational transitions for diatomic molecules, and said the energy of a photon going from level J to level J-1 is [tex]\frac{Jh^2}{4\pi^2\mu(r^2)}[/tex]. Now, I remember from my quantum module last year, that [tex]E_{rot}=\frac{L^2}{2I}=\frac{l(l+1)h^2}{8\pi^2\mu(r^2)}[/tex]. I can see the resemblance between the two equations, but I just can't figure out the link between J and l!

Physics news on Phys.org
"l" quantum is number is specifically used to describe angular momentum.

"j" can either describe angular momentum or spin.

Yes, I found those descriptions online, but it doesn't help me with the link between them - we were told that J was the rotational quantum number of the upper level. If these two equations ARE the same, that means that 2J=l(l+1) - is this true? And if so, what are the steps to prove it?

Many different notations and conventions are used. So you must look up the definition given in your difference.

But you have not been careful here, [tex]\frac{Jh^2}{4\pi^2\mu(r^2)}[/tex] is the energy difference of states with QM# J and J-1, and the level energies are given according to: [tex]E_{rot}=\frac{{\vec{J}}^2}{2I}=\frac{J(J+1)h^2}{8\pi^2\mu( r^2)}[/tex]

So you must evaluate [tex]E_J - E_{J-1}[/tex]

Last edited:
I hadn't realized it, but it's so simple when you put it like that. Thanks, that's helped a lot!

Ayame17 said:
I hadn't realized it, but it's so simple when you put it like that. Thanks, that's helped a lot!

hehe :biggrin:

1. What are J and l quantum numbers?

J and l quantum numbers are part of the quantum number system used to describe the energy levels and orbital shapes of electrons in an atom. J represents the total angular momentum of the electron, while l represents the orbital angular momentum. Together, they determine the energy and spatial distribution of the electron within an atom.

2. How are J and l quantum numbers determined?

J and l quantum numbers are determined through mathematical equations and experiments. J is determined by adding the orbital angular momentum (l) and the spin angular momentum (s) of the electron, while l is determined by the shape of the orbital in which the electron is located.

3. What is the significance of J and l quantum numbers?

J and l quantum numbers are significant because they provide information about the energy levels and orbital shapes of electrons in an atom. This information is crucial in understanding the chemical and physical properties of elements and their behavior in chemical reactions.

4. How do J and l quantum numbers relate to the periodic table?

The J and l quantum numbers are closely related to the periodic table. The number of electrons in an element's outermost energy level is determined by the quantum number l, which corresponds to the group number in the periodic table. Additionally, the quantum number J determines the element's placement in the periodic table, as elements with the same J value are grouped together.

5. Can the J and l quantum numbers change?

Yes, the J and l quantum numbers can change. When an electron absorbs or emits energy, it can move to a different energy level, resulting in a change in the J and l quantum numbers. Additionally, the quantum numbers can also change when an electron undergoes a spin flip, which occurs when the spin direction of the electron changes.