1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum numbers

1. Mar 22, 2009 #1
    let me see if I got this one right:

By solving the S E for bound system u got the quantum number n l and ml. each set of numbers corresponds to a curtain wave function and electron. One gots fine structure when adding the spin up 1/2 and down 1/2. so every electron in the atom has a set of these quantum numbers and no two electrons can have the same set.

thanx for your patience and replies

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2009 #2

turin

Homework Helper

Yes, for V~1/r^2 at least.

Yes, in particular an eigenfunction of the Hamiltonian.

I'm not sure. Actually, I don't think so. I haven't ever treated multi-electron atoms too rigorously, but I think that, strictly speaking, the eigenstates would be product states that combine all electrons as fermions, rather than treating them individually. Since electrons are identical, it doesn't make quantum sense to speak of individual electrons in a multi-electron system.

There is an energy splitting between the spin up and spin down states of a given orbital.

Again, I think that the eigenstates of electrons in a multi-electron atom are actually products states, but I'm not sure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook