Quantum Observer: Can We Perceive Atomic Reality?

In summary: The assumption would be we could see electromagnetic radiation beyond visible light much like we see visible light now.
Gear300
Let us say that we had a higher degree of sensory ability and were able to perceive smaller wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation ('directly' or 'naturally' perceive - not through equipment that traces them out for us to see as visible light) --- small enough to consider atoms. Would "reality" become more noticeably a quantum system...or would things somehow 'balance' as they seem to do with our current perception?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Reality is what we perceive. No matter how "accurate" our sensory equipment are our perception will always define reality. There is no objective reality we can speak of, everything is true in the right context.

Jarle said:
Reality is what we perceive. No matter how "accurate" our sensory equipment are our perception will always define reality. There is no objective reality we can speak of, everything is true in the right context.

I somewhat see where you're going with this (I think)...but what will we perceive? Would we actually notice quantum phenomenon?...or are you saying that we wouldn't notice this phenomenon and instead perceive 'reality' as we do now?

I'd just like to point out that every observation -- whether sensory or via experimental apparatus -- results in definite information (to whatever limit of resolution).

There is no way in principle to "see" a particle at two different places at once, for example. Quantum superposition is meaningful because -- to the extent the apparatus can't determine where the particle is -- QM describes the particle as a superposition of differently-located states.

So yes, regardless of the resolving power of our senses, what we see would never be "weird" in the way quantum descriptions are essentially weird.

The other aspect of your scenario is that small-wavelength light has a lot of energy -- so if our eyes could detect higher-energy radiation, they wouldn't see atoms just peacefully sitting there. At the quantum level, interacting with things to get information about them also tends to bang them around a lot... but this is a different issue.

Gear300 said:
I somewhat see where you're going with this (I think)...but what will we perceive? Would we actually notice quantum phenomenon?...or are you saying that we wouldn't notice this phenomenon and instead perceive 'reality' as we do now?

There is no "correct" way to perceive things. We would notice the phenomenas, but in what way? Our models of the phenomenas are no guidelines to how an observer would perceive them. Our perception is based on our subjective self, not on objective information.

I see...so in that case...does quantum mechanics describe possible "realities"? Would these realities be defined by an observer?...and is our perception limited to one possible case?

Gear300 said:
I see...so in that case...does quantum mechanics describe possible "realities"? Would these realities be defined by an observer?...and is our perception limited to one possible case?

If our sensory equipment was the equivalence to our measurement equipment, we would naturally observe the same. How the brain would process this information I would not know.

Jarle said:
If our sensory equipment was the equivalence to our measurement equipment, we would naturally observe the same. How the brain would process this information I would not know.

Heheh...sorry...I'm not able to fully comprehend what you're trying to say -- what do you mean when you say "naturally observe the same?"

This doesn`t really have much to do with QM, it`s just that if our senses was as accurate as accurate as our measurement equipment we wouldn`t observe anything else different from that. However, how our brain would interpret the information cannot be predicted.

Oh, I see...that brings another question -- wouldn't observation consist of both sensation and perception and not just one instead of the other (it is sort of like saying that if an atom senses a photon, it also perceives it...I'm just thinking that sensation and perception might be dual-effects)?

Gear300 said:
Let us say that we had a higher degree of sensory ability and were able to perceive smaller wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation ('directly' or 'naturally' perceive - not through equipment that traces them out for us to see as visible light) --- small enough to consider atoms. Would "reality" become more noticeably a quantum system...or would things somehow 'balance' as they seem to do with our current perception?

Would this be a totally new sense or an enhancement of sight and sound?

WhoWee said:
Would this be a totally new sense or an enhancement of sight and sound?

The assumption would be we could see electromagnetic radiation beyond visible light much like we see visible light now.

1. What is the concept of Quantum Observer?

The concept of Quantum Observer is based on the principle of quantum mechanics that states that the act of observation or measurement affects the behavior of subatomic particles, altering their state and properties.

2. Can we perceive atomic reality?

While the concept of Quantum Observer suggests that our perception may influence the behavior of subatomic particles, it is still a topic of debate among scientists. Some argue that we can never truly perceive atomic reality because our observation will always change it, while others believe that we can gain some understanding of it through advanced technologies and experiments.

3. How does the observer affect the behavior of subatomic particles?

According to quantum mechanics, the observer's consciousness or measurement apparatus interacts with the particles, resulting in the collapse of their wave function and determining their state and properties. This phenomenon is known as the observer effect.

4. Is the concept of Quantum Observer relevant in everyday life?

The concept of Quantum Observer is mainly relevant in the microscopic world of subatomic particles and does not have a significant impact on our daily lives. However, it has implications in various fields of science, such as quantum computing and cryptography.

5. What experiments have been conducted to understand the concept of Quantum Observer?

Several experiments have been conducted to study the concept of Quantum Observer, including the famous double-slit experiment, which showed that particles behave differently when observed. Other experiments, such as the delayed-choice experiment and the quantum eraser experiment, have also provided insights into the influence of observation on atomic reality.