1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum operator problem

1. Jan 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I got stuck to this problem:

To prove that (x p)^2 is not equal to (x)^2 (p)^2

where x and p are position and mometum operator in QM.

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

I approached this way:

Two operators A and B are equal iff Af=Bf for all f

So,here {(x p)^2 - (x)^2 (p)^2}f=0

Since this is valid for all f, we must have {(x p)^2 - (x)^2 (p)^2}=0

In other words, [(x p)^2 , (x)^2 (p)^2 ]=0

But I could not disprove this commutator.Calculations are big and after some steps I doubt whether this might at all be the correct way.

Can anyone please give some hint?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2008 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(xp)^2 = xpxp

if xpxp = xxpp, then what can we say about [x,p] = xp - px ?

4. Jan 12, 2008 #3

kdv

You can indeed do it with commutators (the identity [AB,CD] = A[B,C]D + etc would be useful) or here it might be simpler to work with explicit differential operators. Just replace the operator p by its usual expression and apply the two expressions to a test function. Obviously, X^2 p^2 f is simply [tex]- \hbar^2 x^2 \frac{d^2f}{dx^2} [/tex]. Calculating the other one won't be too hard and you will see if you get the same result (you won't).

5. Jan 12, 2008 #4

kdv

But xpxp is NOT equal to xxpp!

6. Jan 12, 2008 #5

kdv

Oh, I see your point. yes, that's a nice way to see right away that the two expressions can't be equal because they would imply that x and p commute. That's nice and quick indeed.

Regards

7. Jan 12, 2008 #6

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Now we solved the problem for the OP, which is not so good. So I propose we delete our latest posts :)

EDIT: too late ;)

I should have taken the discussion with you kdv via PM ;)

8. Jan 12, 2008 #7
    I got glenn's point. Really, it is lot easier.

I also tried in the way kdv indicated.But that did not work.This is really much more simple.

9. Jan 13, 2008 #8

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Doing it the other wat should aslo work, remember that an operator operates on EVERYTHING to the right of it, for example

[tex] px\psi (x)= p(x \psi (x) ) = \frac{d}{dx}(x \psi (x)) [/tex]

where the last thing is evaluated according to the leibniz product rule for derivatives. Here i have omitted hbar and the imaginary unit from the p-operator just to make things clearer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?