Quantum Optics statistics

In summary: Your Name]In summary, linear attenuators and amplifiers are important components in quantum optical communication systems that allow for the manipulation of photon number in a given state. The output state is related to the input state by a scaling factor of ##\sqrt{G}##, and the number of photons detected in the output state can be calculated by multiplying the number of photons in the input state by ##G##. The operator-valued inverse Fourier transform is a useful tool in this calculation, and for a non-coherent state, it can be written as <n|##\rho_{out}##|n> = ##\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \
winstonboy
TL;DR Summary
Characteristic Functions in Quantum Optics for linear amplifiers/attenuators
Hi everyone,
I am following along with the MIT OCW quantum optical communication course. I have a question about this chapter, concerning the linear attenuators and amplifiers.

Specifically, the chapter mentions that they are not going to get ##\rho_{out}##, but I am interested in this.

More specifically, I am curious about the number of photons detected from the output <n|##\rho_{out}##|n>, which I know will be a function of the arbitrary input state <n|##\rho_{in}##|n>.

I am at the point where I have the antinormal characteristic function ##\chi_{out}(\eta,## ##\eta^*)=\chi_{in}(\eta \sqrt{G}##, ##\eta^*\sqrt{G})## for an arbitrary gain ##G>1##. How do I proceed from here to get <n|##\rho_{out}##|n>? Do I just take the operator-valued inverse Fourier transform, as suggested earlier in the course? If so, I don't know how to do this, so if someone could provide some help in this calculation for a non-coherent state I would appreciate it.

Cheers,
W

Physics news on Phys.org
esley

Dear Wesley,

Thank you for your question. Linear attenuators and amplifiers are important components in quantum optical communication systems, as they allow for the manipulation of the photon number in a given state. In order to calculate the number of photons detected from the output <n|##\rho_{out}##|n>, we first need to understand the relationship between the input and output states.

As you mentioned, the antinormal characteristic function ##\chi_{out}(\eta,## ##\eta^*)## for an arbitrary gain ##G>1## can be written as ##\chi_{in}(\eta \sqrt{G}##, ##\eta^*\sqrt{G})##. This means that the output state is related to the input state by a scaling factor of ##\sqrt{G}##. Therefore, to calculate the number of photons detected in the output state, we can simply take the number of photons in the input state and multiply it by ##G##.

To answer your question about the operator-valued inverse Fourier transform, it is indeed a useful tool in this calculation. For a non-coherent state, the inverse Fourier transform can be written as <n|##\rho_{out}##|n> = ##\frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \chi_{out}(\eta,## ##\eta^*) e^{-(|\eta|^2+|\eta^*|^2)/2} |\eta|^2 d\eta d\eta^*##. This integral can be evaluated using techniques from complex analysis, and the result will be a function of the input state <n|##\rho_{in}##|n>.

I hope this helps in your calculation. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

1. What is Quantum Optics statistics?

Quantum Optics statistics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and properties of light and its interaction with matter at the quantum level. It combines the principles of quantum mechanics and optics to understand and manipulate the behavior of light and matter.

2. How does Quantum Optics statistics differ from classical statistics?

Quantum Optics statistics takes into account the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, whereas classical statistics assumes deterministic behavior. In Quantum Optics, the properties of light and matter are described by probability distributions rather than definite values.

3. What are some applications of Quantum Optics statistics?

Quantum Optics statistics has a wide range of applications in various fields, including quantum computing, cryptography, and precision measurements. It is also used in technologies such as lasers, optical imaging, and quantum sensors.

4. What is the role of entanglement in Quantum Optics statistics?

Entanglement is a key concept in Quantum Optics statistics, where two or more particles can become correlated in such a way that their properties are dependent on each other, even at a distance. This phenomenon is crucial for quantum communication and information processing.

5. How is Quantum Optics statistics relevant to current research in physics?

Quantum Optics statistics plays a significant role in current research in physics, particularly in the field of quantum information and technology. It is also being explored in areas such as quantum biology, quantum thermodynamics, and quantum simulations, with the potential to revolutionize our understanding of the world and its applications.