Solving Quantum Oscillator w/ Coherent State [alpha(0)>

In summary, the problem involves finding the state of a harmonic oscillator at a given time, starting from an initial coherent state [alpha(0)>. The solution involves using the time evolution operator to calculate the state at time t, which is represented as e^(-iwt/2)[alpha(t)>. This potential leads to unique coherent states.
nolanp2

Homework Statement

given a harmonic oscillator initially in a coherent state [alpha(0)>, alpha = pe^(iv) find the state of the system at time t.

Homework Equations

H = hw/2pi(N+1/2) for harmonic oscillator
given answer: state at time t = e^(-iwt/2)[alpha(t)>

The Attempt at a Solution

i've used the schro eqn to find the state but my answer is only dependant on [alpha(0)> rather than [alpha(t)> i figure i must be setting up the equation wrong but i can't figure out where. I'm not looking for a full solution, just want to know how exactly the coherent state [alpha> will vary in time here. any hints would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
i think you have to use just the time evolution operator which is just:

U(t)=exp(iHt)
and it satisfy UU*=U*U=1 since H is hermitian...
this.
U(t)|q>=U(t)exp(iqp)U*(t)|0>...
and go on.
Note that this kind of potential it is really peculiar since it gives you coherent states.

bye
marco

What is a quantum oscillator?

A quantum oscillator is a system that exhibits periodic motion or oscillation at the quantum level. It is a fundamental model used to describe physical systems such as atoms, molecules, and even subatomic particles.

What is a coherent state in quantum mechanics?

A coherent state is a quantum state that shows properties similar to those of a classical oscillator. It is a state of minimum uncertainty, meaning that the position and momentum of the particle are known with high precision. In the case of a quantum oscillator, the coherent state is represented by the parameter alpha(0), which determines the shape and amplitude of the oscillation.

How is the quantum oscillator with a coherent state solved?

The quantum oscillator with a coherent state can be solved using the ladder operator method. The ladder operators, a+ and a-, are used to generate the eigenstates and eigenvalues of the system. The coherent state is then represented as a linear combination of these eigenstates, and the corresponding equation is solved to find the values of alpha(0).

What is the significance of the parameter alpha(0) in a coherent state?

The parameter alpha(0) in a coherent state represents the amplitude of the oscillation and determines the uncertainty of the position and momentum of the particle. It is also related to the average energy and phase of the system and plays a crucial role in the dynamics of the quantum oscillator.

How are coherent states used in real-world applications?

Coherent states have various applications in quantum optics, quantum information processing, and quantum computing. They are used in experiments to probe the properties of light and to manipulate the behavior of quantum systems. They are also crucial in quantum communication protocols and in the development of quantum algorithms for solving complex problems.