Exploring the Unpredictability of Quantum Experiments

In summary, the conversation discusses the uncertainty of quantum outcomes and whether it is due to our lack of knowledge of the micro-world. However, it is believed that the randomness of quantum mechanics is fundamental and not just a result of incomplete knowledge. This has been demonstrated through experiments such as Bell's theorem. While there are theories that can explain the results without randomness, they are not the mainstream answer to the question.
rajeshmarndi
I am not an expert in physics. I just wanted to know.

Quantum outcome is said to be uncertain. Could this be the reason, i.e every time we run a quantum experiment, the background(or say sub-atomic area) must be different with passage of time. As we do not have complete knowledge of the sub-atomic particles and force carrier etc.. It is still investigated in particle accelerator. That is the experiment is same , the external macro world condition we set up for the experiment is same but the external micro world must not be the same. Therefore we get different outcome on quantum level.

If I am not wrong, what laws does the micro world follows we do not know. Therefore we do not yet know whether the micro world is the same, every time we run the experiment.

Similar to brownian motion which look random but is actually bombarded differently by micro particles differently at each moment.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I'm understanding you properly, you're asking whether it is possible that the randomness of quantum mechanics might be just an artifact of our incomplete knowledge of the detailed microstate of the system; if we really could observe and control the microstate, the randomness would go away and we'd get repeatable results measuring systems that were prepared in identical micro states.

If that's what you're asking, the answer is "no, the randomness is fundamental and not just our incomplete knowledge". To know more, start with http://www.drchinese.com/David/EPR.pdf to see how a number of very qualified physicists really wanted the world to work; and then Google around for "Bell's theorem" to see an experimentally testable consequence of that worldview (Bell's inequalities), and the experiments that show that the world does not obey Bell's inequalities.

Edit: I should add that there are theories that violate the Bell inequalities so match experimental results, but which still have a deterministic underpinning. These however are sufficiently weird in their own way that they aren't what you're looking for (if I've understood your question properly).

Last edited:

1. What is quantum unpredictability?

Quantum unpredictability refers to the idea that at the subatomic level, particles can exist in multiple states or locations simultaneously. This means that the outcome of a quantum experiment cannot be determined with certainty, and can only be described in terms of probabilities.

2. How do scientists explore the unpredictability of quantum experiments?

Scientists use various experimental techniques, such as the double-slit experiment, to observe the behavior of particles at the quantum level. They also use mathematical models, such as the Schrödinger equation, to describe and predict the probabilistic outcomes of these experiments.

3. What are some practical applications of understanding quantum unpredictability?

Some potential applications include quantum computing, cryptography, and precision measurement. By harnessing the unpredictable nature of quantum particles, scientists and engineers are working towards developing technologies that could greatly enhance computing power and security.

4. Can quantum unpredictability be harnessed for faster-than-light communication?

No, quantum unpredictability does not allow for faster-than-light communication. The uncertainty principle states that any attempt to measure or observe a particle will disturb its state, making it impossible to use for communication purposes.

5. Is the unpredictability of quantum experiments a limitation or an advantage?

It can be seen as both a limitation and an advantage. On one hand, the unpredictable nature of quantum particles can make it challenging to control and manipulate them for practical applications. On the other hand, this unpredictability can also open up new possibilities in technology and provide powerful tools for understanding the fundamental laws of the universe.