Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum outcome

1. Jun 8, 2013 #1
    I am not an expert in physics. I just wanted to know.

Quantum outcome is said to be uncertain. Could this be the reason, i.e every time we run a quantum experiment, the background(or say sub-atomic area) must be different with passage of time. As we do not have complete knowledge of the sub-atomic particles and force carrier etc.. It is still investigated in particle accelerator. That is the experiment is same , the external macro world condition we set up for the experiment is same but the external micro world must not be the same. Therefore we get different outcome on quantum level.

If I am not wrong, what laws does the micro world follows we do not know. Therefore we do not yet know whether the micro world is the same, every time we run the experiment.

Similar to brownian motion which look random but is actually bombarded differently by micro particles differently at each moment.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2013 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

If I'm understanding you properly, you're asking whether it is possible that the randomness of quantum mechanics might be just an artifact of our incomplete knowledge of the detailed microstate of the system; if we really could observe and control the microstate, the randomness would go away and we'd get repeatable results measuring systems that were prepared in identical micro states.

If that's what you're asking, the answer is "no, the randomness is fundamental and not just our incomplete knowledge". To know more, start with http://www.drchinese.com/David/EPR.pdf to see how a number of very qualified physicists really wanted the world to work; and then Google around for "Bell's theorem" to see an experimentally testable consequence of that worldview (Bell's inequalities), and the experiments that show that the world does not obey Bell's inequalities.

Edit: I should add that there are theories that violate the Bell inequalities so match experimental results, but which still have a deterministic underpinning. These however are sufficiently weird in their own way that they aren't what you're looking for (if I've understood your question properly).

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook