1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum particle in a 1d box

1. Oct 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A quantum particle is free to move in a infinite 1d potential well of length L excited on the second excited state n=3.What is the probability to locate the particle between 0 and L/3.

2. Relevant equations
    ∫ψ^2=1
    ψ=sqrt(2/L)sin(n∏x/L)
    3. The attempt at a solution
    ∫ψ^2dx=∫(2/L)sin^2(3∏x/L) dx limits of integration from 0 to L/3. then I set y = 3∏x/L then dx = Ldy/3∏. So that gives (2/3∏)∫(1/2)-(1/2)cos(2y) dy then the limits change to 0 to ∏
    which gives (2/3∏)((y/2)-(1/4)sin(2y)) now use the limits 0 to pi which gives a probability of 1/3. What I don't understand is why use 0 to pi why not ∏/3 confused there . what I assume is that it has to do with the excited state the particle is in. So for instance if it was n=1 it would be 0 to ∏/3 am I correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2012 #2
    NVM I was dumb I figured it out it has to do with the length being defined as L it helps to read that being said I need help with a conceptual problem.

4. Oct 24, 2012 #3
    Uggg ok neverming maybe my point wass valid I just did a problem that was similar but in the ground state and it used limits from 0 to npi/3 help again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook