How Do You Calculate the deBroglie Wavelength of a Relativistic Electron?

In summary: So, L=h/mv.One more ques: A beam of neutrons with a kinetic energy of .00061 eV falls on a slit of width .0001m. What will be the angular spread of the beam after it passes through the slit? Answer in units of radian.I have no idea how to do this...the only thing can possibly think of is getting wavelength from the kinetic energy and somehow using the single slit equation to solve for theta? But then I don't have distance from source to slit screen or y (width of bands?) The angular spread of the beam can be determined using the equation theta= lambda/d, where lambda is the wavelength and d is the width of the slit. To find the wavelength
Chocobo7
Quantum Phys Questions PLEASE HELP THANK YOU!

DeBroglie postulated that the relationship lambda=h/p is valid for relativistic particles. The Planck's constant is 6.63x10-34 Js. What is the deBroglie wavelength for a relativisitc electron whose kinetic energy is 6.77 MeV? Answer in units of m.
What I did was v=c sqrt (1-(Er/K+Er)^2), solved for v, plugged that into relativistic p=mv/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2), then plugged that into lambda=h/p to solve for lambda, but I got it wrong. I also tried using KE=1/2mv^2.

One more ques: A beam of neutrons with a kinetic energy of .00061 eV falls on a slit of width .0001m. What will be the angular spread of the beam after it passes through the slit? Answer in units of radian.
I have no idea how to do this...the only thing can possibly think of is getting wavelength from the kinetic energy and somehow using the single slit equation to solve for theta? But then I don't have distance from source to slit screen or y (width of bands?)

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! I NEED THESE ASAP! THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would post this in the advanced physics forum. You'll get more people who know exactly how to answer all of this there (I could make an educated guess on the first one, but I don't think that's what you're looking for :) )

nevermind i got it. -_-

Chocobo7 said:
DeBroglie postulated that the relationship lambda=h/p is valid for relativistic particles. The Planck's constant is 6.63x10-34 Js. What is the deBroglie wavelength for a relativisitc electron whose kinetic energy is 6.77 MeV? Answer in units of m.
What I did was v=c sqrt (1-(Er/K+Er)^2), solved for v, plugged that into relativistic p=mv/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2), then plugged that into lambda=h/p to solve for lambda, but I got it wrong. I also tried using KE=1/2mv^2.
QUOTE]

Using KE=1/2mv^2, get the v. Then put v into L=h/mv.

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles.

2. How does quantum mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Quantum mechanics describes the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, while classical mechanics describes the behavior of larger objects. Quantum mechanics also includes the concept of wave-particle duality, where particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior.

3. What is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. The more precisely we know one of these quantities, the less precisely we can know the other.

4. How does quantum entanglement work?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon where two particles can become "entangled" and share a connection, even if they are separated by large distances. This means that a change in one particle will affect the other, regardless of the distance between them.

5. What are the practical applications of quantum physics?

Quantum physics has led to many technological advancements, such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It also has potential applications in fields like cryptography, quantum computing, and quantum communication.