Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Physics from A to Z

1. May 25, 2005 #1

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0505187
    Quantum Physics from A to Z

Authors: M. Arndt, M. Aspelmeyer, H. J. Bernstein, R. Bertlmann, C. Brukner, J. P. Dowling, A. Ekert, D. M. Greenberger, M. A. Horne, T. Jennewein, P. G. Kwiat, J.-W. Pan, E. M. Rasel, H. Rauch, T. G. Rudolph, C. Salomon, A. V. Sergienko, J. Schmiedmayer, C. Simon, V. Vedral, P. Walther, G. Weihs, P. Zoller, M. Zukowski

3 pages, Quantum Physics of Nature (QUPON) Conference, Vienna, Austria, May 22nd-26th, 2005

"This is a collection of statements gathered on the occasion of the Quantum Physics of Nature meeting in Vienna."

that was quick, the conference is not even over and they have already posted a group paper with many authors

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2005 #2

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

A sampling of the words of wisdom in the article:

There is no quantum information. There is only a quantum way of handling information.

Photons are clicks in photon detectors.

The border between classical and quantum phenomena is just a question of money.

4. May 25, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No offense,Marcus,but that's too deep for me... :zzz:

Daniel.

5. May 25, 2005 #4
    I liked:
    "Peter Zoller, quoting Anton Zeilliger: Physics will in the future put less emphasis on equations and mathematics but more on verbal understanding."

and

"Artur Ekert: I like small gadgets. Look at this tiny digital camera...where is it..."

nc

6. May 26, 2005 #5
    Thank you for this post :)

7. May 26, 2005 #6

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

I got a few chuckles.
    Glad you enjoyed it :)

8. May 26, 2005 #7

ohwilleke

Gold Member

Quantum Physicists are clearly cat people.

9. May 26, 2005 #8

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Yaaaay! You got it, ohwilleke! I couldnt think of it. That's it!

10. May 26, 2005 #9

jma2001

Gold Member

Did I miss something, I thought that was a serious article, was it intended as a joke?

11. May 26, 2005 #10

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

You have company JMA, dextercioby appears to have found it serious, and even dull.

Maybe they didnt know themselves and it is just a matter of taste, or individual comic sense.

does anyone know if Anton Zeilinger is real, or is he a made-up person like the famous French mathematician Nicolas Bourbaki?

12. May 26, 2005 #11

wolram

Gold Member

I found it deep and thoughtful, its nice to know what these guys think of
    their own research arena.

13. May 26, 2005 #12

jma2001

Gold Member

Yes, Anton Zeilinger is real, he is a Professor of Physics at the University of Vienna, here's his homepage:
    http://www.quantum.univie.ac.at/zeilinger/

That's why I was confused by this article. So two dozens physicists got together and wrote an article poking fun at Anton Zeilinger? I thought that sort of derision was reserved for crackpots. I found some of Zeilinger's theories interesting and I thought the paper was intended to spark discussion about them, I did not realize he was regarded as a crank.

Furthermore, why would the arXiv accept a gag paper? Admittedly I do not have much experience in reading scholarly papers but I thought the arXiv was a serious resource for scientists and I did not expect them to print something that was essentially a hoax.

14. May 26, 2005 #13

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

With all respect, if you think that was simply "making fun" you must have a tin ear. That was an old and beloved professor's students testifying to his influence on them. Some of them still agree with what he taught them, some are in revolt against his teachings, and the rest make nervous jokes. All of them are clearly wondering if they'll ever be the authority he has been.

15. May 26, 2005 #14

jma2001

Gold Member

OK, I understand that, I was confused mostly because the paper appeared on arXiv and I usually expect to read serious papers there, so the humor caught me by surprise. I would have thought that an "affectionate ribbing" as this paper might be called would be more appropriate content for a personal web page. I am certainly not saying that arXiv should never accept a light-hearted paper, it's just something I'll have to be more in tune for next time. :smile:

16. May 26, 2005 #15

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The arXiv is not a peer-reviewed database. Anyone with a connection to a university can publish anything she'd like there.

- Warren

17. May 26, 2005 #16

Kea

Actually, no.

18. May 26, 2005 #17

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

chroot, Kea is right
    Last year arxiv instituted a very mild system of control which involves
    getting recommendations. The people officially designated as able to recommend have been kind of grandfathered in, and their OK does not mean that they vouch for the paper so much as that they dont think it is totally wacko. Kea, or Alejandro who has had a lot of experience with the new system, may wish to explain in detail. I can only say that as far as I can see arxiv still admits abysmally low quality. mathematically vacuous meaningless garbage, along with good stuff. But it now has a "crank filter" that keeps real loonies from posting.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?