1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum physics in engineering

1. Mar 1, 2016 #1
    Hi, I am studying civil engineerin. I wonder if learning quantum physicist could be worth it for my career. I know that as an engineer I can get a master degree in physics, which have a lot of topics of modern physics. Do you think it could be a good idea? I mean, these new knoeledge is helpful to do research in this field of engineering or is more for academic purposes, to work as a professor.

Please let me know from your own expirience.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2016 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I doubt quantum mechanics is useful in most aspects of civil engineering.

4. Mar 1, 2016 #3
    Tunneling maybe? :smile:

5. Mar 1, 2016 #4
    Wold you
    would do you tell me a little more?

6. Mar 1, 2016 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What more is there to say? Is coin collecting useful to civil engineering? Is tap dancing? I don't see how there is much to say except "not really, no".

7. Mar 1, 2016 #6
    That's the kind of answer i needed, may be tough, but honest. Could you tell me what advanced courses are helpuf for applying engineering.

8. Mar 2, 2016 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Why is this tough? And the most useful advanced courses helpful to a civil engineer are usually some kind of engineering. Hard to be more specific, as civil engineering is a broad field.

9. Mar 2, 2016 #8

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I can't help, but wonder if you might actually be interested in switching branches of engineering. Civil engineering is more about roads and bridges. If you're interested in quantum mechanics, maybe you could look at going into engineering physics, electrical engineering, or materials science.

10. Mar 2, 2016 #9
    That's what i was thinking about, switch to physics engineering. The problem is that i don't understand what kind of work i could get and I wouldn't like to end as a professor just because i don't get another job.

I would be really glad if someone could share its own experience interacting with this branch of engineering or one of the mentioned before.

11. Mar 2, 2016 #10

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That won't happen. Science professor jobs are harder to get than (nearly) anything else.
    Everything in the physics/engineering spectrum has nice job-relevant applications.

12. Mar 4, 2016 #11
    I don't really see quantum mechanics playing much of a role in civil engineering. It will show up in materials engineering, and then I suppose civil engineers use the materials that materials engineers designed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted