1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Physics Maths Help

1. Mar 24, 2012 #1

KJB

Hi, I am a 16 year old high school student. I am really interested in Maths and its my passion.

I am also really interested in Quantum Physics and I would just like to know a list of what type of Maths (eg. Differential Calculus) I would need to learn to understand it.

I just need a list so I can learn it in my spare time.

Thanks,
    KJB

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2012 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Definitely differential equations, both ordinary and partial. Orthogonal functions, Fourier transforms, complex variables, and a mastery of linear algebra. That will get you ready to tackle it.

4. Mar 24, 2012 #3
    I'm 15 and only doing multi-variable calculus, and physics. If you think you can tackle quantum mechanics in your spare time it might take a few years first (iff you're a prodigy you'll probably be able to do it).

5. Mar 24, 2012 #4

KJB

Yeah I'm not extremely smart but I'm looking at doing it for college/university so I am just trying to learn a bit of the math to give me a little bit of a head start.

6. Mar 24, 2012 #5
    Me too, I'm interested in theoretical physics, I'll either go into theoretical astrophysics, or theoretical particle physics. Good luck

7. Mar 24, 2012 #6

KJB

Thanks mate, good luck to you too, you're already learning multi-variable calculus at 15. I'm only learning like basic calculus. You got a bright future man :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook