1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum physics normalization

1. Apr 26, 2014 #1
    I do understand the probability of a wave function ψ is given by ∫ψ* ψ d3x, which after normalization is equal to 1. However, I then saw the following, ∫ψn* ψmmn

Here is my understanding, the discussion is about discrete eigenfunction and value as expressed in m and n, ψn and ψm are two discrete wave functions, and with the orthonormal method, they are arranged to be ∫ψn* ψm=1 when m=n and 0 when m≠n.

What I don't understand is, doesn't such form equal to ∫ψ* ψ d3x ? Where the complex conjugate and normal wave function part comes from the same ψ. What is the point of discussing the complex conjugate of a different wave function ψn* in the first place? Are ψn ψm just two different states of the same wave function ψ?

Thanks a lot

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2014 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

##\psi## in the first equation is a general wave function. It can describe some particle somewhere. The ##\psi_n## are a set of orthonormal basis functions. Usually they are the eigenfunctions of some important operator (quite often the Hamiltonian). They provide a convenient way in which to express your general wave function:

$$\psi=\sum_n c_n\psi_n$$

Any ##\psi## can be expressed this way provided that the ##\psi_n## form a complete basis of the Hilbert space. It's useful that the basis functions are ortho-normal so that taking inner products is easy.

4. Apr 26, 2014 #3
    Thanks a lot, but if I may ask a bit more, what is the meaning of having ∫ψn* ψm if they are just basis functions?

5. Apr 26, 2014 #4

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you mean by "meaning of having..."? I'm not sure what your question is so I don't know how to answer adequately. Could you maybe rephrase it? The basis functions ##\psi_n## are called orthonormal if:

$$\int \psi_n^*(x)\psi_m(x) dx=\delta_{n,m}\quad \forall n,m$$

There's nothing special happening here. The fact that the basis functions are orthonormal means you can get ##c_n## really easily:

$$\int \psi^*(x)\psi_n(x)dx=\int\sum_m c_m^*\psi_m^*(x)\psi_n(x)dx=\sum_m c_m^*\delta_{m,n}=c_n^*$$

6. Apr 26, 2014 #5
    Got it, Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted