Why are orthonormal basis functions important in quantum physics?

In summary, the conversation discussed the probability of a wave function ψ, its normalization, and the orthonormal method for arranging discrete wave functions. The purpose of discussing the complex conjugate of a different wave function ψn* is to easily calculate the coefficient c_n for the general wave function, expressed as a sum of the orthonormal basis functions ψ_n.
kdlsw
I do understand the probability of a wave function ψ is given by ∫ψ* ψ d3x, which after normalization is equal to 1. However, I then saw the following, ∫ψn* ψmmn

Here is my understanding, the discussion is about discrete eigenfunction and value as expressed in m and n, ψn and ψm are two discrete wave functions, and with the orthonormal method, they are arranged to be ∫ψn* ψm=1 when m=n and 0 when m≠n.

What I don't understand is, doesn't such form equal to ∫ψ* ψ d3x ? Where the complex conjugate and normal wave function part comes from the same ψ. What is the point of discussing the complex conjugate of a different wave function ψn* in the first place? Are ψn ψm just two different states of the same wave function ψ?

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
##\psi## in the first equation is a general wave function. It can describe some particle somewhere. The ##\psi_n## are a set of orthonormal basis functions. Usually they are the eigenfunctions of some important operator (quite often the Hamiltonian). They provide a convenient way in which to express your general wave function:

$$\psi=\sum_n c_n\psi_n$$

Any ##\psi## can be expressed this way provided that the ##\psi_n## form a complete basis of the Hilbert space. It's useful that the basis functions are ortho-normal so that taking inner products is easy.

Matterwave said:
##\psi## in the first equation is a general wave function. It can describe some particle somewhere. The ##\psi_n## are a set of orthonormal basis functions. Usually they are the eigenfunctions of some important operator (quite often the Hamiltonian). They provide a convenient way in which to express your general wave function:

$$\psi=\sum_n c_n\psi_n$$

Any ##\psi## can be expressed this way provided that the ##\psi_n## form a complete basis of the Hilbert space. It's useful that the basis functions are ortho-normal so that taking inner products is easy.

Thanks a lot, but if I may ask a bit more, what is the meaning of having ∫ψn* ψm if they are just basis functions?

What do you mean by "meaning of having..."? I'm not sure what your question is so I don't know how to answer adequately. Could you maybe rephrase it? The basis functions ##\psi_n## are called orthonormal if:

$$\int \psi_n^*(x)\psi_m(x) dx=\delta_{n,m}\quad \forall n,m$$

There's nothing special happening here. The fact that the basis functions are orthonormal means you can get ##c_n## really easily:

$$\int \psi^*(x)\psi_n(x)dx=\int\sum_m c_m^*\psi_m^*(x)\psi_n(x)dx=\sum_m c_m^*\delta_{m,n}=c_n^*$$

Matterwave said:
What do you mean by "meaning of having..."? I'm not sure what your question is so I don't know how to answer adequately. Could you maybe rephrase it? The basis functions ##\psi_n## are called orthonormal if:

$$\int \psi_n^*(x)\psi_m(x) dx=\delta_{n,m}\quad \forall n,m$$

There's nothing special happening here. The fact that the basis functions are orthonormal means you can get ##c_n## really easily:

$$\int \psi^*(x)\psi_n(x)dx=\int\sum_m c_m^*\psi_m^*(x)\psi_n(x)dx=\sum_m c_m^*\delta_{m,n}=c_n^*$$

Got it, Thanks!

1. What is quantum physics normalization?

Quantum physics normalization is a mathematical technique used in quantum mechanics to ensure that the total probability of all possible outcomes of a measurement is equal to 1.

2. Why is normalization important in quantum physics?

Normalization is important because it allows us to interpret the wave function in quantum mechanics as a probability density function, which is necessary for making predictions about the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

3. How do you normalize a wave function in quantum physics?

To normalize a wave function, we divide the original wave function by a normalization constant, which is the square root of the integral of the absolute value squared of the wave function over all possible values of the variables.

4. Can you explain the concept of normalization in terms of the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that the more accurately we know the position of a particle, the less accurately we can know its momentum and vice versa. Normalization in quantum physics ensures that the probability of finding a particle in any given position is consistent with this principle.

5. Are there any real-world applications of quantum physics normalization?

Yes, normalization is used in many areas of quantum physics, including quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum communication. It also plays a crucial role in the development of new technologies such as quantum sensors and quantum imaging devices.