What do the notations 1s, 2s, and 2p mean in relation to atomic orbitals?

In summary, the problem is asking for the wavefunctions of the states 1s, 2s, and 2p, with ml values for the last case. The notation used is based on the principal quantum number (n) and the orbital quantum number (L), with m_L being the eigenvalue of the L_z operator. The 2L + 1 distinct eigenvalues correspond to the different ml values for a given L.
joker_900

Homework Statement

Hi, I've been given a problem set and there is suddenly new notation that I've never seen. Can anyone shed any light on what this means:

"Treating a0 as a parameter, write down the complete wavefunctions (including radial
and angular parts) for the states 1s, 2s, and 2p (giving all three ml possibilities in the last
case)."

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea what the 1s, 2s and 2p mean. ml are the eigenvalues of the Lz operator, so I'm guessing 2p somehow corresponds to a state with l=1, as it says there are 3 m values, but other than that I don't know. Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
the first figure is n, the principal quantum number. n starts from 1.

the letter is the L quantum number, from the eigenvalue of the L^2 operator: L(L+1). L starts from 0, and goes to n-1. It is convenient to have letters to these ones, since n is assigned by a number. The convention is:

L = 0, s
L = 1, p
L = 2, d
L= 3, f
L = 4, g

L is called the orbital quantum number, and now comes the part you understood, that m_L is eigenvalue of L_z with 2L + 1 distinct eigenvalues.

1. What is the purpose of using mathematical notation in quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a complex and abstract subject, and mathematical notation provides a concise and precise way of representing the concepts and equations involved. It allows scientists to communicate and work with the principles of quantum mechanics in a standard and universal language.

2. What are the most commonly used symbols in quantum physics notation?

Some of the most frequently used symbols in quantum physics notation include Greek letters such as alpha (α), beta (β), and gamma (γ), as well as mathematical symbols like the integral sign (∫), the sum symbol (∑), and the equal sign (=).

3. How is quantum physics notation different from classical physics notation?

One of the main differences between quantum physics notation and classical physics notation is that it involves the use of complex numbers and matrices to represent the probabilistic nature of quantum systems. Classical physics notation, on the other hand, relies on real numbers and vectors.

4. Can quantum physics notation be translated into everyday language?

Yes, quantum physics notation can be translated into everyday language, but it requires a deep understanding of the subject. The symbols and equations used in notation represent complex concepts and mathematical relationships that may not have a direct translation into everyday language.

5. How important is it to be fluent in quantum physics notation in order to understand the subject?

Being fluent in quantum physics notation is essential for understanding and working with the principles of quantum mechanics. It allows scientists to accurately describe and manipulate quantum systems, and it is also necessary for reading and interpreting research papers and other scientific literature in the field.