1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Physics Problem

1. May 1, 2005 #1
    In a photoelectric experiment, light is incident on a metal surfact. Photoelectrons are ejected, producing a current. A reverse potantial is applied and adjusted until the current drops to 0 (this is called the stopping potential). This fata is collected for stopping potentials (listed first) for four different frequencies (listed second): [typo volts that reads 0,] and 2E14Hz; 0.9V and 4E14Hz; 2V and 7E14Hz; 3V and 9.3E14Hz.

Determine an experimental value for Planck's constant. What is the work function of the metal?

----------

Can someone tell me what formulas to use?

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. May 1, 2005 #3
    Well, I'm given two formulas for Photoelectric Effect wiht little about them. The only one that I have no idea what it is states: KE[max] = eV[0]. I know that eV is electron Volts, but I don't think that's what the formula is saying.

5. May 2, 2005 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

KE(max) : maximum kinetic energy (~0.5mv^2) of ejected photoelectron
    e : charge on the electron = 1.6 * 10^-19 coulombs
    V(0) : applied stopping potential in volts

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?