1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Physics question

1. Oct 4, 2005 #1
    I am having trouble with 2 problems about the harmonic oscilator.
    I realize this isnt the homework section, however I feel that in my situation where time is limited, perhaps someone would be able to give me a certain amount of leeway.

First of all the question tells me to use the wave function for when n=1

So I have:
    Wavefunction = A[1]*r^1/2 * e^-((r^2)/2)

where r= (mw/(hbar))^1/2 and A[1] is A sub 1.

I am wondering when I am multiplying this by the complex conjugate, is the complex conjugate going to have a e^+((r^2)/2). I dont think I am but for some reason, in a solution finding <x> which equals ](integral) psi* (times) x (times) psi] those exponential functions did not appear. So I was wondering how they cancelled out when you calculate <x>

also it asks me to calculate <p>, which I know equals m*d<x>/dt. My question is, if my <x> does not depend on t, because the time dependent part of the equation was cancelled out when solving for <x>, how can I find d<x>/dt?

Any help would be appreciated, I'm sure my questions or equations aren't too clear, so if you have any questions, I will try to clarify. Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This doesn't make sense: I'm sure you are missing a space variable in "r".
    That explains then too why you don't find your exponential anymore once you've integrated over it...

PS: and this really belongs in the homework section...
  4. Oct 4, 2005 #3

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tuneman, please don't double post. One thread is enough for one question.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?