Trouble with Harmonic Oscillator Problems in Quantum Physics

In summary, the individual is seeking assistance with two problems related to the harmonic oscillator. They have a time constraint and are hoping for some leniency. The first problem involves using the wave function for n=1, which includes a complex conjugate. They are unsure if the complex conjugate should have a positive or negative exponential term. The second problem involves calculating <p> using the equation m*d<x>/dt, but since the time-dependent part of the equation was canceled out when solving for <x>, they are unsure how to find d<x>/dt.
Tuneman
I am having trouble with 2 problems about the harmonic oscilator.
I realize this isn't the homework section, however I feel that in my situation where time is limited, perhaps someone would be able to give me a certain amount of leeway.

First of all the question tells me to use the wave function for when n=1

So I have:
Wavefunction = A[1]*r^1/2 * e^-((r^2)/2)

where r= (mw/(hbar))^1/2 and A[1] is A sub 1.

I am wondering when I am multiplying this by the complex conjugate, is the complex conjugate going to have a e^+((r^2)/2). I don't think I am but for some reason, in a solution finding <x> which equals ](integral) psi* (times) x (times) psi] those exponential functions did not appear. So I was wondering how they canceled out when you calculate <x>

also it asks me to calculate <p>, which I know equals m*d<x>/dt. My question is, if my <x> does not depend on t, because the time dependent part of the equation was canceled out when solving for <x>, how can I find d<x>/dt?

Any help would be appreciated, I'm sure my questions or equations aren't too clear, so if you have any questions, I will try to clarify. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tuneman said:
I am having trouble with 2 problems about the harmonic oscilator.
I realize this isn't the homework section, however I feel that in my situation where time is limited, perhaps someone would be able to give me a certain amount of leeway.

First of all the question tells me to use the wave function for when n=1

So I have:
Wavefunction = A[1]*r^1/2 * e^-((r^2)/2)

where r= (mw/(hbar))^1/2 and A[1] is A sub 1.

This doesn't make sense: I'm sure you are missing a space variable in "r".
That explains then too why you don't find your exponential anymore once you've integrated over it...

cheers,
Patrick.

PS: and this really belongs in the homework section...

Tuneman, please don't double post. One thread is enough for one question.

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It deals with the principles of quantum mechanics, which explain how these particles behave and interact with each other.

2. How is quantum physics different from classical physics?

Quantum physics differs from classical physics in that it describes the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, while classical physics deals with larger objects. Additionally, quantum physics follows the principles of quantum mechanics, which include concepts such as superposition and entanglement, that do not apply in classical physics.

3. What are some real-world applications of quantum physics?

Quantum physics has many practical applications, including the development of modern computer technology, lasers, and medical imaging techniques. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as chemistry, material science, and cryptography.

4. Can quantum physics be understood by non-scientists?

While quantum physics is a complex field, many aspects of it can be understood by non-scientists with some effort. There are many popular books and online resources that explain the basic principles of quantum mechanics in an accessible way.

5. What are some current challenges in the field of quantum physics?

One of the biggest challenges in quantum physics is developing a unified theory that can reconcile the principles of quantum mechanics with those of general relativity, which is the current theory of gravity. Other challenges include controlling and manipulating quantum systems for practical applications, and understanding the implications of quantum mechanics for our understanding of reality and the universe.