What Energies Are Involved in Exciting and Ionizing Helium Atoms?

In summary, the energy required to singly ionise a ground state Helium atom into the first excited state of the helium ion is equal to the original ionisation energy plus the energy needed to bump it up. However, using the basic binding energy formula may not give a precise value and the screening charge also needs to be taken into consideration.
Ecniv
i) What is the energy required to singly ionise a ground state Helium atom into the first excited state of the helium ion?

ii) What is the energy required to excite a ground state helium atom into the first excited state of neutral helium?

iii) What is the energy required to doubly excite a ground state helium atom into the first doubly excited state of neutral helium?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF Ecniv,

You are expected to show some effort in solving the questions yourself.

Ecniv said:
?
Hootenanny said:
You are expected to show some effort in solving the questions yourself.
Let me rephrase, you are required to show some effort in solving the question yourself before we will help you.

What are the concepts involved? What have you tried thus far?

Ecniv said:
?

You might want to have a look at the rules for this forum.

Same Problem

Hi

I have the same questions

For i) I know we want to ionise the ground state Helium atom from 1s^2 to the first excited state of the helium ion which is 1s^1 2p^1 I think

So that means we want the original ionisation energy +that to bump it up

but I am not sure what the energy to bump it up would be

using the basic binding energy formula E=(-Z^2 R)/( n^2) doesn't seem to give me a decent value for n =2 and Z=2 and I am not sure how to incorporate sceening charge

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level, particularly at the atomic and subatomic levels. It explains the strange and counterintuitive behavior of particles such as photons and electrons.

2. What are the key principles of quantum physics?

The key principles of quantum physics include wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, superposition, and entanglement. These principles describe the behavior of particles at a quantum level and how they interact with each other and with their environment.

3. How does quantum physics differ from classical physics?

Classical physics describes the behavior of objects at a macroscopic level, whereas quantum physics explains the behavior of particles at a microscopic level. In classical physics, objects have definite properties and behave predictably, while in quantum physics, particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously and exhibit probabilistic behavior.

4. What are some real-world applications of quantum physics?

Quantum physics has many applications in modern technology, such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It also plays a crucial role in fields like cryptography, quantum computing, and medical imaging.

5. How does quantum physics impact our understanding of the universe?

Quantum physics has revolutionized our understanding of the universe, challenging traditional concepts like determinism and causality. It also provides a more accurate model of the behavior of particles and has led to new theories and advancements in various fields of science.