1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum physics questions

1. May 8, 2008 #1
    i) What is the energy required to singly ionise a ground state Helium atom into the first excited state of the helium ion?

ii) What is the energy required to excite a ground state helium atom into the first excited state of neutral helium?

iii) What is the energy required to doubly excite a ground state helium atom into the first doubly excited state of neutral helium?

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF Ecniv,

You are expected to show some effort in solving the questions yourself.

4. May 11, 2008 #3

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let me rephrase, you are required to show some effort in solving the question yourself before we will help you.

What are the concepts involved? What have you tried thus far?

5. May 11, 2008 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You might want to have a look at the rules for this forum.

6. May 12, 2008 #5
    Same Problem

Hi

I have the same questions

For i) I know we want to ionise the ground state Helium atom from 1s^2 to the first excited state of the helium ion which is 1s^1 2p^1 I think

So that means we want the original ionisation energy +that to bump it up

but im not sure what the energy to bump it up would be

using the basic binding energy formula E=(-Z^2 R)/( n^2) doesnt seem to give me a decent value for n =2 and Z=2 and im not sure how to incorporate sceening charge

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?