What are the best textbooks for understanding quantum physics?

In summary, this person is asking for a textbook on quantum mechanics that they can use in a class. They state that they have been to classes, but have difficulty understanding the terms due to not being a native English speaker. They mention that they have notes from different sources, which makes it difficult to follow the material. They also mention that they have been struggling with the Schrodinger equation and the normalization procedure. They suggest David Griffiths' Introduction to Quantum Mechanics as a book to read.
solas99
hey, I'm physics student, doing my quantum physics exam soon, was wondering if there is any textbooks you recommend.

any kind of information that will help me understand the subject in theory and mathematically..

thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are doing an exam 'soon' it seems a bit late to be starting a textbook! Have you already studied the subject in a class or are you starting from scratch??

hey,
no of course i started a while back, and yes I've been to classes, and have my notes taken..

but i always over complicate what's asked from me..specially trying to understand meanings of words (I'm not a native english speaker) so have a bit of difficulty understanding actual meanings of terms used.

Notes i have, are a a bit confusing, as they are taken from different sources, so its bait hard to follow.

thats why I'm asking for a notebook, that can help me get a proper grip of the topic.

solas99, what level quantum mechanics class is this? What textbook are you using in class? What topics in quantum mechanics have you covered in class, and what level of mathematics have you used?

not sure about TEXT BOOK, just powerpoint presentation(includes notes)

1.schrodinger equation. time independent schrodinger equation
2.1-D well, particle in a box
probability density
3.normalisation
4.time dependant schrodinger equation
5. measurement ---operators, momentum operator, position operator, expectation value,
6. superposition functions,wavefunction collapse,
7. 2D infinite well, 3D infinite well
8.particle at a finite potential step, Continuity
9.particle in a finite potential well( symmetric, asymmetric)
10.Linear potential (linear potential with infinite wall)
11.harmonic oscillator
12.correspondance principal, gaussian wavepacket
13.dirac notation, commutation
14. angular momentum
15. magnetism
16. hydrogen atom

these are the topics that were included in the powerpoint notes.

OK, I think for these topics, David Griffiths' Introduction to Quantum Mechanics would be best.

thanks a lot..will have a look at it asap..
appreciate the advice

1. What is quantum physics and why is it important?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is important because it helps us understand the fundamental principles of the universe and has led to advancements in technology, such as computer chips and lasers.

2. What topics are typically covered in a quantum physics textbook?

A quantum physics textbook usually covers topics such as wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, quantum mechanics, quantum entanglement, and quantum field theory. It may also cover applications of quantum physics in various fields, such as chemistry and computer science.

3. Who should read a quantum physics textbook?

Quantum physics textbooks are typically written for college-level students who have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. They are also useful for researchers and professionals in fields that utilize quantum physics principles.

4. Are there any recommended quantum physics textbooks for beginners?

Yes, some popular quantum physics textbooks for beginners include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Quantum Physics for Dummies" by Steven Holzner, and "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman.

5. How can I use a quantum physics textbook to improve my understanding of the subject?

To make the most of a quantum physics textbook, it is important to actively engage with the material by taking notes, solving practice problems, and asking questions. It can also be helpful to supplement your reading with online resources and discussions with peers and professors.