1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum physics textbooks

1. Jul 30, 2012 #1
    hey, I'm physics student, doing my quantum physics exam soon, was wondering if there is any textbooks you recommend.

any kind of information that will help me understand the subject in theory and mathematically..

thanks a lot

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2012 #2
    If you are doing an exam 'soon' it seems a bit late to be starting a textbook! Have you already studied the subject in a class or are you starting from scratch??

4. Jul 30, 2012 #3
    hey,
    no of course i started a while back, and yes I've been to classes, and have my notes taken..

but i always over complicate whats asked from me..specially trying to understand meanings of words (I'm not a native english speaker) so have a bit of difficulty understanding actual meanings of terms used.

Notes i have, are a a bit confusing, as they are taken from different sources, so its bait hard to follow.

thats why I'm asking for a notebook, that can help me get a proper grip of the topic.

5. Jul 30, 2012 #4
    solas99, what level quantum mechanics class is this? What textbook are you using in class? What topics in quantum mechanics have you covered in class, and what level of mathematics have you used?

6. Jul 30, 2012 #5
    not sure about TEXT BOOK, just powerpoint presentation(includes notes)

1.schrodinger equation. time independent schrodinger equation
    2.1-D well, particle in a box
    probability density
    3.normalisation
    4.time dependant schrodinger equation
    5. measurement ---operators, momentum operator, position operator, expectation value,
    6. superposition functions,wavefunction collapse,
    7. 2D infinite well, 3D infinite well
    8.particle at a finite potential step, Continuity
    9.particle in a finite potential well( symmetric, asymmetric)
    10.Linear potential (linear potential with infinite wall)
    11.harmonic oscillator
    12.correspondance principal, gaussian wavepacket
    13.dirac notation, commutation
    14. angular momentum
    15. magnetism
    16. hydrogen atom

these are the topics that were included in the powerpoint notes.

7. Jul 30, 2012 #6
    OK, I think for these topics, David Griffiths' Introduction to Quantum Mechanics would be best.

8. Jul 30, 2012 #7
    thanks a lot..will have a look at it asap..
    appreciate the advice

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook