Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Ping Pong Balls

1. Sep 7, 2004 #1
    I ran accross an interesting problem in quantum uncertainty today. I'm working out the details right now, but I thought I would share. This might belong in brain teasers or something like that, but I know some people love problems like these (others consider them a complete waste of time)

Imagine dropping a ping pong ball of radius R onto an identical ping pong ball from a height of 10R. The balls undergo perfectly elastic collisions. What combination of delta x and delta p yield the most number of bounces while still satisfying the uncertainty relation delta x * delta p > hbar. Make any reasonable assumptions.

Now Classical physics allows perfect initial allignment and an infinite number of bounces if there are no pertubations. However there is a tradeoff in uncertainty of position (the farther away from center it hits the faster it will bounce off) and uncertainty in momentum (a bigger uncertainty there will lead to a "drift" of the ping pong ball away from the center, when we use quantum. How do we keep that durn ping pong ball on for as many bounces as physically possible.

I made some quick calculations and got about eight bounces
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted