Maximizing Bounces in Quantum Ping Pong Ball Collisions | Brain Teaser

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in quantum uncertainty involving two ping pong balls undergoing perfectly elastic collisions. The goal is to find the combination of delta x and delta p that yields the most number of bounces while still satisfying the uncertainty relation. The conversation also addresses the tradeoff between uncertainty in position and momentum and the number of bounces that can be achieved. The conversation ends with a calculation of about eight bounces and a discussion on the applicability of the uncertainty principle in this scenario.
Allday
I ran across an interesting problem in quantum uncertainty today. I'm working out the details right now, but I thought I would share. This might belong in brain teasers or something like that, but I know some people love problems like these (others consider them a complete waste of time)

Imagine dropping a ping pong ball of radius R onto an identical ping pong ball from a height of 10R. The balls undergo perfectly elastic collisions. What combination of delta x and delta p yield the most number of bounces while still satisfying the uncertainty relation delta x * delta p > hbar. Make any reasonable assumptions.

Now Classical physics allows perfect initial allignment and an infinite number of bounces if there are no pertubations. However there is a tradeoff in uncertainty of position (the farther away from center it hits the faster it will bounce off) and uncertainty in momentum (a bigger uncertainty there will lead to a "drift" of the ping pong ball away from the center, when we use quantum. How do we keep that durn ping pong ball on for as many bounces as physically possible.

I made some quick calculations and got about eight bounces

Physics news on Phys.org
The uncertainty principle is about measurements. I don't see how the two balls colliding would count as a measurement.

Allday said:
I made some quick calculations and got about eight bounces
The fact that the result is independent of the size of the ball or its mass is very suspicious.

1. How can you maximize bounces in a game of quantum ping pong ball collisions?

In order to maximize bounces, you need to carefully consider the angle and velocity of the ball as well as the material and surface of the playing area. Adjusting these factors can help increase the number of bounces in a game.

2. What is the role of quantum physics in this brain teaser?

Quantum physics is the branch of physics that deals with the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. In this brain teaser, the concept of superposition and the uncertainty principle play a role in predicting the trajectory of the ping pong ball.

3. Can you use any type of ping pong ball for this game?

While any type of ping pong ball can technically be used, the material and weight of the ball can greatly affect the number of bounces. A lighter, more elastic ball may be better suited for maximizing bounces in quantum ping pong.

4. Is there a specific strategy to follow in order to win this game?

There is no one specific strategy that guarantees a win in this game. It requires a combination of skill, knowledge of quantum mechanics, and trial and error to optimize the number of bounces and ultimately win the game.

5. Can this game be applied to real-life situations?

While the concept of quantum ping pong may seem like just a fun brain teaser, it can actually be applied to real-life situations. Understanding the principles behind maximizing bounces and predicting the trajectory of particles can have implications in fields such as physics, engineering, and technology.

Back