Normalize both ψ1 and ψ2 and then find the energy eigenvalues of each

In summary, the conversation is about finding the energy eigenvalues of two wavefunctions, ψ1 and ψ2, given a Hamiltonian matrix. The normalization constants for ψ1 and ψ2 have been correctly calculated, and the eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian are found to be plus/minus root 5.
joshr
Hi there this is my first post here, I am having some trouble with a homework question in quantum.
I need to normalize both ψ1 and ψ2 and then find the energy eigenvalues of each.
The given Hamiltonian is
H0 = (1 2 )
(2 -1)

And ψ1 = ( -2 ) ψ2 = ( -2 )
(1-√5) (1+√5)

Ive had a go and i think that the normalization constant is
ψ1 : 1/(10-2√5)^(1/2) and ψ2 : 1/(10+2√5)^(1/2)

(the things in brackets are ent to be matrices and vectors)
please help!
Thanks josh

Physics news on Phys.org
hi again just noticed that it shifted everything along as i don't no how to do a matrix so the H0 is a matrix with the next line should be the bottom line of the 2x2 matrix.
also psi1 and psi2 should be column vectors so shift all the next line along abit too lol sorry bout that.

Mr. Joshr,

You've got the normalization correct. If you find the eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian you'll discover that they are plus/minus root 5. You would expect these to be real since your matrix is Hermitian (which it should be since this is supposed to represent an observable - namely the energy). Use these to solve for the eigenvectors (i.e. the energy eigenstates of the system) and you'll find that root 5 corresponds to your psi1 and minus root 5 corresponds to your psi2. Thus the energies are plus/minus root 5 respectively.

1. What does it mean to normalize ψ1 and ψ2?

Normalizing ψ1 and ψ2 means to adjust their values so that the total probability of finding a particle in a given region is equal to 1. This is done by dividing each wave function by its respective normalization constant.

2. Why is it important to normalize both ψ1 and ψ2?

Normalizing wave functions is important because it ensures that the total probability of finding a particle in a given region is accurate. Without normalization, the total probability may be greater or less than 1, which would violate the laws of quantum mechanics.

3. How do you find the energy eigenvalues of each normalized wave function?

The energy eigenvalues can be found by solving the Schrödinger equation for each normalized wave function. This equation relates the energy of a particle to its wave function and potential energy. By solving the equation, the energy eigenvalues can be determined.

4. What does it mean if the energy eigenvalues of ψ1 and ψ2 are different?

If the energy eigenvalues of ψ1 and ψ2 are different, it means that the two wave functions correspond to different energy states of the particle. This could indicate that the particle is in a superposition of multiple energy states.

5. Can the energy eigenvalues of ψ1 and ψ2 be negative?

Yes, the energy eigenvalues of ψ1 and ψ2 can be negative. In quantum mechanics, energy is a relative concept and can take on both positive and negative values. Negative energy eigenvalues may correspond to bound states of a particle, where it is confined to a specific region.