Solving 1D Quantum Potential Well Problem

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem but is having difficulty understanding how the potential works. The potential is given by: 0 when abs(x) > a and -V0 when abs(x) < a. The particle is confined to a bound state in the potential well when its energy is less than 0.
December
Hi

I'm trying to solve a one-dimensional quantum well problem. The problem itself is probably (or: hopefully) not too hard to solve, but I'm having a difficult time to understand how the given potential actually works.

The incident particles is coming from the left, and the potential well is given by:

0 when abs(x) > a
-V0 when abs(x) < a

...Where V0 > 0...

I'm not sure how the particles will interact with this potential. My first thought was that it would act as a "upside down" potential barrier... What I mean is that if the particle's energy E is greater than 0, then it would act as a potential well, and if E < 0, then it would act as a barrier.. But I'm not sure at all if I'm right, or if I have misunderstood the entire thing!

All help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
December said:
Hi

I'm trying to solve a one-dimensional quantum well problem. The problem itself is probably (or: hopefully) not too hard to solve, but I'm having a difficult time to understand how the given potential actually works.

The incident particles is coming from the left, and the potential well is given by:

0 when abs(x) > a
-V0 when abs(x) < a

...Where V0 > 0...

I'm not sure how the particles will interact with this potential. My first thought was that it would act as a "upside down" potential barrier... What I mean is that if the particle's energy E is greater than 0, then it would act as a potential well, and if E < 0, then it would act as a barrier.. But I'm not sure at all if I'm right, or if I have misunderstood the entire thing!

All help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

Think about what a classical particle would do in this potential. This might help you to better understand the quantum problem.

Eugene.

Thanks for quick your answer.

Classically, I guess that since I can define the zero point of the potential energy myself, it doesn't matter if the potential is defined between 0 and -V0 since it might as well be between V0 and 0. But if that's the case, then this potential wouldn't differ from a regular potential well (for example, if V(x)=V0 when abs(x) > a and V(x)=0 when abs(x) < a).

Furthermore, I guess that it would be pointless to talk about particles "entering from the left" when the energy E is less than 0, since they can only exist in bound states in the well.

Could this be correct, or am I missing something?

December said:
Thanks for quick your answer.

Classically, I guess that since I can define the zero point of the potential energy myself, it doesn't matter if the potential is defined between 0 and -V0 since it might as well be between V0 and 0. But if that's the case, then this potential wouldn't differ from a regular potential well (for example, if V(x)=V0 when abs(x) > a and V(x)=0 when abs(x) < a).

Yes, nothing would change if you simply add a constant to your potential. However, it is conventional to define potentials in such a way that their values at infinity are zero.

December said:
Furthermore, I guess that it would be pointless to talk about particles "entering from the left" when the energy E is less than 0, since they can only exist in bound states in the well.

You are right that for negative energies (assuming that the potential at infinity is zero) the particle is confined in a bound state inside the well.

Eugene.

Thank you!

It's always easier to understand something when you actually get to discuss the topic. I've been trying to work this out on my own for some hours now, and I think I even managed to make the problem harder than it really was. It feels as if quantum mechanics slowly starts to make sense to me. ;)

I really appreciated your help.

// Eric

I'm trying to solve exercise number 2 of Cohen's Quantum Mechanics, vol1.
The item (b) demands the normalization of the functions but I can't do it because I need one more relation between the constants A1 and A1'. Does anyone have any idea?

1. What is a 1D quantum potential well problem?

A 1D quantum potential well problem is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that involves studying the behavior of a particle confined within a one-dimensional potential well. The potential well can be thought of as a box with walls of finite height and width, and the particle's energy and position within the well determine its behavior and properties.

2. What is the significance of solving 1D quantum potential well problems?

Solving 1D quantum potential well problems allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of particles in confined environments, which has implications in various fields such as materials science, nanotechnology, and quantum computing. It also provides a foundation for studying more complex quantum systems.

3. How is the wave function used to solve 1D quantum potential well problems?

The wave function, which describes the probability of finding a particle in a certain position, is used to solve 1D quantum potential well problems by applying the Schrödinger equation. This equation relates the wave function to the energy of the particle and the potential well, and its solutions provide valuable information about the behavior of the particle.

4. What are the boundary conditions for solving 1D quantum potential well problems?

The boundary conditions for solving 1D quantum potential well problems involve specifying the values of the wave function at the boundaries of the potential well. These values must be continuous and differentiable in order to satisfy the Schrödinger equation and accurately describe the behavior of the particle within the well.

5. What are some common techniques for solving 1D quantum potential well problems?

There are various techniques for solving 1D quantum potential well problems, such as the shooting method, the transfer matrix method, and the finite difference method. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of technique depends on the specific problem and the desired level of accuracy.