Quantum Probability: At Least One Cube in Box?

In summary, the conversation discusses a probability question about a box containing two shapes, each with a 50% chance of being a cube or a tetrahedron. The question asks for the probability of at least one cube in the box. The initial response is 3/4, but the friend argues that according to quantum probability theory, the answer is actually 7/8 because any tetrahedron in the box cannot be yellow. The person seeking clarification is still unsure and turns to a physics forum for further explanation. However, the expert summarizer believes that the friend's explanation is not based on actual quantum theory and the correct answer is indeed 3/4.
Telanian
Greetings. Firstly, my apologies if this is in the wrong place but this seemed to be the most appropriate board.

I am not a Physics student but my friend, who is, posed me the probability question below in order to teach me about quantum probability and how it differs from classical probability:

You have a box and inside the box are two shapes. The first shape has a 50% chance of being a cube and a 50% chance of being a tetrahedron. The second shape also has a 50% chance of being a cube and a 50% chance of being a tetrahedron.

You also know that any cube in the box (if indeed there is a cube in there) could be yellow.

Question: What is the probability that at least one of the shapes in the box is a cube?

Now my initial response was to think that seeing as I know the probabilities for both the shapes in the box as to whether they're cubes or not, the information I'm given about the possible colour of any cubes in the box is completely irrelevent. Thus I have quite a simple problem and I quickly arrived at the answer of 3/4.

However, according to my friend, the answer is 7/8. Apparently, according to the rules of Quantum probability theory, I am allowed to deduce from the information given that any tetrahedron in the box can't be yellow and the answer follows from this. However, I didn't understand any more of his explanation as to why this was so. I'm now burning with curiosity to understand and I thought that a Physics forum would be a good place to go to seek enlightenment! So would someone be able to explain to me what's going on? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your friend is making this up. There's nothing 'quantum' about cubes being yellow. Your analysis is completely correct. The answer is 3/4.

1. What is Quantum Probability?

Quantum probability is a mathematical framework for describing and predicting the behavior of physical systems at the quantum level. Unlike classical probability, which deals with events that have definite outcomes, quantum probability deals with events that have a range of possible outcomes and are described by wave functions.

2. What is the "At Least One Cube in Box" problem?

The "At Least One Cube in Box" problem is a classic thought experiment in quantum probability that involves the probability of finding at least one cube in a box. The experiment demonstrates the peculiar nature of quantum particles, such as electrons, which can exist in multiple states simultaneously.

3. How is quantum probability different from classical probability?

Quantum probability differs from classical probability in several ways. In classical probability, events have definite outcomes and can be measured with certainty. In contrast, quantum probability deals with events that have a range of possible outcomes and are described by wave functions. Additionally, classical probability follows the laws of classical mechanics, while quantum probability follows the laws of quantum mechanics.

4. What are the key principles of quantum probability?

The key principles of quantum probability include superposition, entanglement, and measurement. Superposition refers to the ability of quantum particles to exist in multiple states simultaneously. Entanglement refers to the phenomenon where the state of one particle is linked to the state of another particle, regardless of the distance between them. Measurement in quantum probability involves the collapse of a wave function to a single state when an observation is made.

5. How is quantum probability applied in real-world scenarios?

Quantum probability has a wide range of applications in modern technology, including quantum computing, cryptography, and communication. It is also used in various fields of science, such as quantum physics and chemistry, to understand and predict the behavior of quantum systems. Additionally, quantum probability has potential applications in fields such as medicine, finance, and artificial intelligence.