Calculating States in a 3D Cubic Potential Well

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the number of states in a 3D cubic potential well with impenetrable walls that have energy less than or equal to E. The equations used include E_n=\frac{\hbar^2\pi^2}{\ 2 \ m \ a^2}\ (\ {n_x}^2 + \ {n_y}^2 + \ {n_z}^2) and n^2=\frac{\ E_n \ 2 \ m \ L^2}{\hbar^2 \pi^2}. The solution involves counting the number of points inside a one-eighth sphere of radius (constant)E, with one point per unit volume, to get an
neelakash

Homework Statement

I am to calculate the number of states in a 3Dcubic potential well with impenetrable walls that have energy less than or equal to E

Homework Equations

[tex]\ E_n=\frac{\hbar^2\pi^2}{\ 2 \ m \ a^2}\ (\ {n_x}^2 + \ {n_y}^2 + \ {n_z}^2)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

We may denote [tex]\ (\ {n_x}^2 + \ {n_y}^2 + \ {n_z}^2)=\ n^2 [/tex]
and express n in terms of E_n

Then, we can evaluate the integral n(E')dE' for E'=0 to E'=E

I am not sure if this would give the correct answer.Can anyone please help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
E and n are discrete. No integral, just add up combinations of nx, ny, nz to give n.

E and n are discrete. No integral, just add up combinations of nx, ny, nz to give n.

I see.But should I sum them?

Your method is not correct.

The answer is the number of triples (nx,ny,nz) of positive integers such that nx2+ny2+nz2 is less than a certain constant times E.

Counting these exactly is difficult. But there is a simple way to do it approximately.

Consider (nx,ny,nz) as coordinates of a point in a three-dimensional space. Any point that is inside a one-eighth sphere of radius (constant)E counts, and any point outside does not count. Now consider that, on average, there is one point per unit volume of this one-eighth sphere ...

Hmmm...
Then it is easier to calculate the volume of the sphere (since there is one state per unit volume) instead of calculating the no. of states.

the squared maximum radius is [tex]\ n^2=\frac{\ E_n \ 2 \ m \ L^2}{\hbar^2 \pi^2}[/tex]

The co-ordinates [tex]\ n_x,\ n_y,\ n_z [/tex] that results in a greater radius,also involves greater energy.Hence,they are excluded.

So, the required number of states is [tex]\frac{4}{3}\pi\ n^3[/tex]

what was wrong with my approach?

My approach was to calculate directly the number of states. The direct value of N gives the number of states with the specified energy E...but it does not include the states with lower values of energy.Therefore I tried to put the problem into an integral...

The integration should not be valid here because n(E) is not a continuous variable.

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate the energy levels in a 3D cubic potential well?

To calculate the energy levels in a 3D cubic potential well, you can use the quantum mechanics equation:
E = (nx2 + ny2 + nz2) h2 / 8mL2, where nx, ny, and nz are the quantum numbers for the x, y, and z directions, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particle, and L is the length of the well in each direction.

2. What is the significance of the quantum numbers in a 3D cubic potential well?

The quantum numbers in a 3D cubic potential well represent the allowed energy states of a particle in the well. They determine the energy level and location of the particle within the well.

3. How does the potential well depth affect the energy levels in a 3D cubic potential well?

The potential well depth affects the spacing between energy levels in a 3D cubic potential well. A deeper potential well will result in a larger spacing between energy levels, while a shallower potential well will result in a smaller spacing between energy levels.

4. Can the energy levels in a 3D cubic potential well be degenerate?

Yes, the energy levels in a 3D cubic potential well can be degenerate. This means that multiple quantum states can have the same energy level. For example, the nx=1, ny=1, nz=1 state and the nx=2, ny=2, nz=0 state both have the same energy level of 3h2/8mL2.

5. How can the energy levels in a 3D cubic potential well be visualized?

The energy levels in a 3D cubic potential well can be visualized using a graph, where the x-axis represents the quantum numbers and the y-axis represents the energy levels. Each energy level will be represented by a horizontal line on the graph, and the spacing between the lines will depend on the potential well depth.