1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Question

1. Mar 8, 2009 #1
    Just reading through my notes and found a step I can't follow:

If you look at p3 of the follwing document, one of the lines in the proof of the Generalised Uncertainty Principle has a (2) next to it. I can't get from the line before it to that line.

Can anyone help me out?

http://www.ph.ed.ac.uk/teaching/course-notes/documents/64/786-lecture5.pdf

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use, equation (1) on that page to show that [tex][\hat{X},\hat{Y}]=[\hat{A},\hat{B}][/tex], then use the definition of expectation value

4. Mar 8, 2009 #3
    hey. thanks. i have another question about it though.

in the line before (2), how does the [itex](\Delta \hat{A}_t)^2[/itex] term work? Surely when we square [itex]\hat{X}[/itex], we get [itex](\Delta \hat{A}_t)^2[/itex] as well as other stuff arising from the cross terms???

also in the very last line, where does he get the [itex]i[/itex] in the RHS from - i'm assuming it's so that we end up with a [itex]\geq[/itex] not a [itex]\leq[/itex] but i don't follow it...

thanks

5. Mar 8, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

By definition, [tex](\Delta \hat{A}_t)^2=(\hat{A}-\langle\hat{A}\rangle_t)^2=\hat{X}^2[/tex]

And the [itex]i[/itex] is just a way to account for the negative sign since [tex]\langle i [\hat{A},\hat{B}]\rangle_t^2=i^2\langle [\hat{A},\hat{B}]\rangle_t^2=-\langle[\hat{A},\hat{B}]\rangle_t^2[/tex]

6. Mar 8, 2009 #5
    but [itex]\Delta \hat{A}_t = \sqrt{\langle \hat{A^2}_t \rangle - \langle \hat{A}_t \rangle^2}[/itex]

so why do you get what you've written?

7. Mar 8, 2009 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The two definitions are equivalent:

[tex](\hat{A}-\langle\hat{A}\rangle_t)^2=\hat{A}^2-2\hat{A}\langle\hat{A}\rangle_t+\langle\hat{A}\rangle_t^2[/tex]

[tex]\implies \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \Psi^{*}(x,t)(\hat{A}-\langle\hat{A}\rangle_t)^2\Psi(x,t)dx=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \Psi^{*}(x,t)\hat{A}^2\Psi(x,t)dx-2\langle\hat{A}\rangle_t \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \Psi^{*}(x,t)\hat{A}\Psi(x,t)dx+\langle\hat{A}\rangle_t^2\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \Psi^{*}(x,t)\Psi(x,t)dx[/tex]

[tex]=\langle\hat{A}^2\rangle_t-2\langle\hat{A}\rangle_t^2+\langle\hat{A}\rangle_t^2=\langle\hat{A}^2\rangle_t-\langle\hat{A}\rangle_t^2=(\Delta\hat{A}_t)^2[/tex]

[tex]\implies (\Delta\hat{A}_t)^2=(\hat{A}-\langle\hat{A}\rangle_t)^2[/tex]

since they both integrate to the same thing

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook